Diary of a 20x24 cabin going up in NH

Started by cockergod18, May 18, 2006, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy_Cason

The framing looks great! You guys are getting it together quick.
I understand Dave's end of the day look in the picture!

Work all day then have to pick up tools.... Uggg!
What are your daytime temps?
Here in Texas it is around 95 degrees and a million% humidity.

Chuckca

Foundation - Wood Pier question:

Did you notch the Piers?  I was studying your great pictures and didn't see how you anchored your beams to the piers....I may have missed it.  Thanks!  

dmlsr

temp have run from 50 to 90 .

humidity the same up high and low

fun fun fun

Dave

dmlsr

yes we did notch the Piers  and then put 3 bolts . two oneway and one the other way. . so far so good

Dave

gramsreads

Hey Dave and Alex looking good can't wait to see it in person.  Dad/Pepere would be proud of you guys. :)

cockergod18

Sunday was a scorcher!!! low 90's and humid.  i showed up at the land with pants a short sleeve shirt, after an hour ( with help from a razor blade ) i was in shorts and a cut off.

Any ways we framed the last wall and put up plywood on a wall, we planed on 2 walls but ran out of nails. we didnt complain the day was long enough and we couldnt wait to jump in the pool at daves house.

ill have some pics up hopefully tomarrow  

dmlsr

Al's  working crazy hours this week so i will do my best to up date you. We got up the last wall sunday and we cover one wall with plywood.

Heather and my boys did more clearing and burning . They are really making the grounds look great

[size=14]Alex walking by the begining of the last wall[/size]

[size=14]My son Eric and I working on the last wall [/size]

[size=14]Alex holding up wall while Eric watches[/size]

[size=14]Me convincing my kids im not scared of heights[/size]

[size=14]wall is done and 1 wall has plywood[/size]

[size=14]an outside shot of our awesome plywood job[/size]

dmlsr

Heather and the kids

[size=14]A picture of the fire on a 90* day  [/size]

[size=14]My littlest Eric and my little photographer Dave jr [/size]

[size=14]My wife working hard and Eric taking a break[/size]

[size=14]Eric chilling by the fire[/size]

glenn-k

Projects looking great.  I didn't realize that your woods there look quite a bit like the woods on the West coast in some areas.

cockergod18

Sunday was a perfect day for building. Nice temputure/humidity
We put up plywood on the last 3 walls wich was a lot of work seeing that the walls were up and framed and we were on ladders lugging plywood over our heads. After 2 walls we were about to quitfor the day, when my 2 cousins, Dan and Jay showed up to help with the last wall, wich went up in no time.

[size=14]Me building our stairs[/size]

[size=14]Wall #2 is done [/size]

[size=14]Reinforcements are here :)[/size]

[size=14]My cousin Dan doesnt need a latter [/size]

[size=14]Done for the day :)[/size]

dmlsr

Heather was not able to come today so the burning was a little on the slow side  

our fire

Heathers fire

Dave  

peteh2833

Looks Great!!! I had two questions for you. What plans are you using and did you use 2x4 walls or 2x6 walls? Thanks. Looking forward to more pictures.

dmlsr

Plans are something we came up with  and we using 2X6 X10 foot  for walls.

thanks  

Dave

peteh2833

Thanks If you don't mind me asking why did you decide to use 10 foot walls instead of 8? Also is the second floor going to be one big sleeping loft?

dmlsr

2 lofts one on each end. 10 foot walls to give us more room in the lofts. The loft floors will be about  2 feet down from the top of the walls.

Dave

peteh2833

I guess I will have to watch the pictures. I got kind of lost there. Will your stairs be in the center of the cabin? Are yo laying the second floor joists right on the top plate of the exterior walls. I am adding on to my cabin and would like to build something similiar. Hope you don't mind all the questions.

dmlsr

no the second floor will not be on the top plate . it will be about 2 feet down the wall. you got pic's of your place we can see. new or old

Dave

peteh2833

Ya. Do you know how to post them? When do you plan on starting the second floor? Pete

dmlsr

what do u mean by post them??? pic's???

i dont think we are working this week end but will be the next.

Dave

speedfunk

Looks great guys... I hope you didn't get nailed with rain the way we did here in upstate ny.    :-/

keep up good work...

dmlsr

well the road in to the camp was like driving in a river so.... no not to bad lol

Dave

peteh2833

I have never added a picture before and I was wondering how you do it.

dmlsr

go to  www.photbucket.com (set up an account)(it's free) add pic's there. when you do under the pic there will be 3 diff adresses. we use the bottom one which is the img link. high light copy and paste to your posting mess around with it. it the pic comes out to big just hit resize 1 time. dont change the percentage. after you make it small you cant make it bigger again inless you down load it from your comp again. good luck

Dave

peteh2833