Diary of a 20x24 cabin going up in NH

Started by cockergod18, May 18, 2006, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockergod18

I'm building a 20x24 cabin with my Uncle Dave on a 7 acre lot of land in Weare NH, that was passed down from my great grand father, we dont have alot of money so we're building as we have the money .

To catch you guys up with our progress, last November (2005) Dave and I went to the Town of Weare and asked to build a cabin. In March we finally got approved to build.

We started by cutting down the trees that were in the way, we kept the ones we wanted to use for some furniture. Then came the holes we needed for the sauna tubes (w/bigfoots) we planned on digigng the holes ourselves,after a lot of work we realized that it wasn't going to happen, the ground was so rocky that it took us about 2 hours to get down about 10 inches , so we introduced ourselves to our neighbor (1.5 miles away), who had a bunch of construction equipment,  we asked for his help and he agreed. After the holes were done we put in the sauna tubes checked it for square and level, back filled and poured the concrete. So far we have spent $1,400 dollars, which is up a little from the $600  we planned on. Iwill have some pics soon any coments will be appreciated.                  
Thanks,

Alex

Pala

I anxiously await your next post.   :D

cockergod18

Here are some pics.

[size=14]IN THE BEGINNING[/size]

[size=14]A LITTLE HELP FROM THE NEIGHBOR  ONLY A FEW $$$ AND A 12 PACK[/size]

[size=14]ME TACKLING "BIGFOOT"[/size]

[size=14]MY BUDDY KYLE CHECKING FOR LEVEL AND PLUMB[/size]

[size=14]UNCLE DAVE CHECKING TO SEE IF WE'RE SQUARE[/size]

[size=14]FINALLY READY TO BACKFILL[/size]

[size=14]POURING 6000 POUNDS OF REDIMIX [/size]
MORE NEXT WEEK ;D

Amanda_931

Are your pictures permanently somewhere on the internet?

All I saw was a collection of little red x's

:'(

(I did try for this (from properties)--page not available:

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/440cafb7ze83efa10/mail/__sr_/9153re2.jpg?phYN6bEBywkWKEam

glenn-k

Looks like you may have to copy the pictures to photobucket then post them here - Yahoo blocks leaching pictures from their service I think - I have never got it to work more than one or two times.

Amanda_931

I'd love to have those nice big rocks!

dmlsr

we can fedex you some down. u pay shipping

Dave

glenn-k

That must be Uncle Dave.  I'd suggest barter.  I think Amanda would help dig for some rocks.

Those look like the ones I have - many of mine go up to 6' or more across but average like the ones you have.  Your soil looks like less clay than mine - just a computer screen analysis.

cockergod18

im working on the pics. I dont know whats wrong but my dad does hopefully tomarrow the'll be up.

Sunday,
we built our floor frame, using doubled up 2x8 PT boards  it only took about 6 1/2 hours, everything went smooth, which was suprising, seeing how everything else we've done  so far fought us tooth and nail, the best part was when we checked it for square it was only off a 1/2 inch and we easily ajusted it. I remember spending a whole day trying to get our stakes square. What a day (alot of yelling and swearing) next weekend we should be putting in our floor joices. cant wait.
thanks for all the comments, till next week.
Alex

cockergod18

[size=14]some pics from Sunday[/size]

[size=14]Me and my friend Adam building the center beam.[/size]

[size=14]Uncle Dave making shure we're level while staying bug free[/size]

[size=14]Almost done..[/size]

[size=14]Last peice[/size]

[size=14]Done!!![/size]

Amanda_931

buddycub(Guest)

Hey guys...this is looking very good. Can't believe how far you've gotten since we went up there to check it out. Your hard work is paying off. Pics are great. Can't wait to see some more pics. .........Skipp

cockergod18

it was a beautiful weekend in Weare, best part no black flies  :)
saturday morning im helping uncle Dave load 30 10ft 2x6 PT boards in his truck, once every thing is loaded we hop in his truck and we were on our way. when we reach the busy intersection of the small town we loose all our wood  :( . traffic stops as we again load the wood, once loaded and were on our way. We joke about the wood and put blame on each other. when we get to our drive way of our cabin when again we loose  the wood >:( . We told ourselves that we are going to use all the wood, becouse were not loading it in the truck again.
   After that hassel we throw up the floor joices in a few hours, it was looking good.
sunday we go to home depot to get our plywood and go to the land throw on the plywood and in a couple hours we had a 20x24 deck, which was just in time for a Memorial Day deck party.

cockergod18

Here are som pics from this weekend

[size=14]just finished[/size] :)

[size=14]Uncle Dave hammering away [/size]

[size=14]the sub floor is complete[/size]

glenn-k

Looking good.  Thanks for the pix.

One doesn't want to spend too much tying down a load time when it could be used better for re-loading, Alex.

An old trucker motto. :-/

Nice to see the photo of the Bigfoot - we have talked about them several times - don't recall seeing them used.

big sexy13(Guest)

lookin good bro,whens the house warming? hi uncle dave hows the fam?

bs13 (thats big sexy not bull sh*t)lol ;D

cockergod18

thanks Dave,
you Kim and Nate will be one of the first to be invited. hopefully we'll be completly done next spring.

dmlsr

got one wall up this past weekend. Rained the whole time. Pictures to come soon . Heather my wife started moving the rocks and picking up 100 years of sticks on the ground.

Dave

dmlsr

A pic of what we did last weekend in the rain

Dave                                                                                         [

glenn-k

Working in the rain is always a pain ---

The rain in Spain stays mainly on the ...... nevermind. :-/

Good job, guys.

cockergod18

beautiful day on sunday, nice and cool from the week of rain.
we put up 2 more walls wich makes 3 walls total, we framed up the back door and 3 windows. were getting excited its looking like a cabin, (its no longer a deck) ;). Uncle Daves wife Heather was there, cleaning up the area, and burning brush.

[size=14]Heather cleaning up and burning brush. Heather didnt want her picture taken, "she said she was dressed like a bum" so i made sure i put put one online. [/size]  

[size=14]Dave framing the bathroom window.[/size]

[size=14]Done for the day!!! :)[/size]

bartholomew

Another good day's work. You putting in 9 foot ceilings on the main?

cockergod18

8 foot ceiling on the main floor, trying to  get as much room in the lofts as possible.