Another cost question ?

Started by schiada, August 17, 2018, 11:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schiada

I'm restarting a restart to my build. (https://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=13260.new#new ) But would like some input on what the lumber will cost in 2018 ?

I'm building in Wilhoit Arizona . That is south of Prescott.
Its going on a slab.Its a 1 1/2 story from the Country plans.

The reason I ask is that I looked into using a Versatube steel building. The Kit cost for a 20 x 30 with a 16' eave is about $20,000.
Although I am not a wood guy I can run the things needed to do it in wood. I have built in steel before. It is a comfort thing maybe ?
But after looking into what needs to be added to the steel building I'm not so sure it is cost effective ?
Getting the steel building up is the easy part but then it needs a wood structure built inside it for the rooms and all.

Any help on the cost (in-general) is most appreciated .
Thanks. Randy

schiada

How about in the last 5 years ?  :)

NathanS

For a 20x34 2-story and 8x12 mudroom, we spent a little under 15k for all the lumber, floor/roof/wall sheathing, zip tape (weather proofing), nails, stairs, air sealing.. probably some other things I'm forgetting. A weather proof shell without windows or doors.

That was 2016. The current trade tariffs may be effecting prices. I just ordered hardwood to do the finish work in our house and prices were down over 10% from one month ago because European customers are cancelling orders. A lot of framing lumber did come from Canada...

schiada

Thanks alot !

Maybe I will need to get better with the "Wood" thing ?  LOL

Dave Sparks

Trying to remember that area. We looked outside Prescott about 20 years back. Really nice! Back then there were few choices to cool besides evaporative (swamp coolers). Now with the mini-split heat pumps you can cool just about any type of building. Back in the day we were looking at going underground to live :-\

Pretty safe from wild fire I remember? The country plan layout is really nice. Good Luck! I am sure you will get more info from the group. They probably are all on vacation d*
"we go where the power lines don't"