The Green Havens. 20 x 28 & 16 x 20 Pole Cabins

Started by Watch Ryder, February 06, 2016, 06:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watch Ryder

Well this update will be short but punchy.

The peeling and racking of the Gungnir Log took a lot longer than normal, I was able to get some video shot though so that will be going through the tubes soon hopefully.

The dragging action of earlier days really beat up the underside, it gave the effects of a sawmill with a flat-section for landing on posts BUT there was a lot of dirt ingrained. Some of it was in tiny slits and gouges, meaning a draw knife was not enough. I tried water and screwdriver, this was not very effective. Then a deployed some 50 grade sandpaper which did a much better job. I could get all the dirt out, but most of it has gone and linseed oil will take care of the rest.

Through much jiggery pokery of the tirfor and chainblock, including using a dead tree as a snatch block, I was able to get 'er done.

The log looks fine but needs some more sanding after the bashes and rubs from other obstacles on the way into the racks. No biggie though.

Outside the cabin site is another long log, this one with a slight bend in it, but nothing as bad as one or two of the others already in the racks. It's like as soon as I do one job, another on leaps into action for me to contend with! I hope I can keep up this pace, I have to get to the firewood zone soon  as they'll be closing the gate for that in the coming weeks.

Watch Ryder

This is the last of last 35 footer logs! No more of this length now!

Quote from: Watch Ryder;97301212New Video folks!

Just got the finer peeling ways out and about for people to see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iELjYnHm980

Watch Ryder

Last one of the 35 footers in place! Now it's just the posts to be done.

Getting bored of peeling these logs though but on the dance goes:

Here's some more in the racks, this lot will be posts in 14,17 and 20 foot lengths.

EDIT:

Busy days, rainy times and a near-evacuation due to fires.

But there were no issues and I took some time to explore the firewood cutting area, alas the place was closed due to hunting season starting earlier. I managed to get 3 logs though.

Watch Ryder

Views from high up in the PNW mountains

Zooming in:

Watch Ryder

So the plan is to get 3 outbuildings constructed. This will allow storage of gear, wood and tools. One of these will be a small garage.

So the first thing to do was designate an area. This will be next to my own private internal road that will run in a circle so I can get a trailer, drag logs in without having to reverse etc.

There are some trees in the way so I had to deploy the chainsaw to get them out of the way. Then it's just a case of getting the posts ready and the post holes dug. The posts will be 12 ft high on the high-side and 9 ft high on low side. I'll try and make 2 Ft 6 inches on the depth.

Pictures will follow.

Today was busy, had chainsawing to buzz with, then dragging a great 19 footer log in. The rainy weather is turning to sunshine again for a few days so I got some washing done too.

I completed my first post hole in the afternoon. All in all it took me about 4 and a half hours. I used a 5 inch nail, pickaxe, small adze and shovel. Most of the sub 1 ft digging was just a gloved hand and the 5 inch nail. That allowed the stones to be dug out little by little. Finally I made my depth of 2 ft.

Then I had the post to treat. I could have used the linseed oil but this would have taken a while to dry, so instead I unleashed the blow-torch for some charring action.

Tomorrow is installation and concreting! Pcs to follow...

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask folks. :)