32x14 Off-grid in Idaho

Started by midrover170, November 02, 2014, 01:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midrover170

Been busy.

Few pictures from the project. Winter has been difficult with the amount of snow in the area. Many of the locals say it's the most, wettest, heaviest snow in ~30 years. Good news: the cabin soldiered right through. Our plow agreement was the worst dilemma. The operator kind of put us at the back of the list and wasn't able to clear the road for 5 weeks after the first snow fall (about 5 feet total). When they did make it, it took about 13 hours... Got to be a better way in the future.

I've shifted my efforts to the interior. Setting cabinets, installing floor, painting, etc. A few months back I got good news that I'll become a father this year (~July). That changed the timeline/priority for a lot of projects. 2016 is going to be more limited, with a push to get septic, cistern and propane installed. Not much else on the agenda other than that.

Cheers.

CabinNick

Looking great.  It seems like it just won't stop snowing this year!  We have 52" on the ground at our property not far west of you in Oregon.

I have been thinking about how to be able to plow the road into our place when we get the cabin built.  After seeing how deep the snow is I am starting to think a plow is not a viable option; probably need to be thinking about a snowblower instead. 

The good thing is that this year is a good reminder for us to design our cabin with snow loads and snow dropping off the roof in mind.  We passed a 100 year old farmhouse last weekend that has weathered many years of heavy snow but this winter finally did in the roof above their front porch. 

Good luck.

midrover170

Thanks, Nick.

It's been a good year for snow! The rivers needed it so I'm happy about it. I think my plow situation would have gone better had the operator not been overwhelmed. The snow was so heavy it was breaking equipment and nearly impossible to keep up with. They've committed to putting down some gravel and doing a little grading where things got kind of nasty.

It's made me think a lot about my future approach. Snowmobile? Same arrangement as now? Neighbor who seems more than happy to keep us plowed with a tractor that's on the way? Access is really important as it maintains our insurance coverage during the winter. Say, if we were to go the snowmobile route, we'd be up the creek if something were to happen. I think I like the snowmobile/plow combo most. A few weekends I haven't been able to get any work done because it snows on a Thursday or Friday. If I had a snowmobile stashed up there at my neighbors, I could still get in and out while waiting for the plow to come. Perfect situation: Have my own tractor! But, that's just a pipe dream right now. :P

I had a lot of people laugh at me when I explained my structural plan - especially on the roof system. Boy am I happy I didn't change anything. Looking at your area I'd say you'd be wise to build strong as well. Looking forward to seeing your build come together.

- D

rick91351

Hopeful we will get a pretty slow melt and allow the springs and marshes to recharge. 

We still have well over a foot to eighteen inches over here on this side of the mountain.....  Why is the insurance company concerned if the roads are snowed shut?  Did they explain?  That is sort of contrary to what most cabin owners around here want.  But then they unload their snow machines here on my place and ride on up to their little village.  Or wait for April and they usually and drive right in.  Elmore county plows to my and the neighbors roads.  If they are busy I have told them I can plow out to the main county road with my tractor or the fourwheeler.  Fourwheeler is a 650 with tires that do hook up nice and can throw snow.  Really it is funny what I can plow with my fourwheeler but living up here I can get right on it.  I do fire up the big tractor with the wedge plow on the front....  the parking areas I throw the snow off with the walk behind snow plow bigest Ariens snowblower I could find. Heated hand grips and everything....... ;)

Right now we are starting to sort of wishing it away and wanting more! I am thinking and dreaming the orchard and the garden.  We have so much snow around the house off the eves we can not see out on the sides.... :D

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Looking great.  Love the view from the deck :)

midrover170

Quote from: rick91351 on February 04, 2016, 01:07:25 PM
Why is the insurance company concerned if the roads are snowed shut?  Did they explain?

Hi Rick. We were told by insurance co. that the road needs to be accessible year round to maintain coverage. The scenario they provided was simple: a winter fire and no option for local VFD to respond. Certainly a winter fire would be user error, but my wife is a worrier.

Was wondering how much snow you still had in your area. As I said, I'm really happy for it but already hungry for some springtime weather! What's on your radar this year? Your place is mostly finished, right? I'm a little nervous about my septic process. Hope my building pad has enough area to make it simple and that the inspector doesn't give me grief for not having a well. We shall see. I have 6 acres to play with, but only about .5 to build on  :D

midrover170

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 04, 2016, 01:38:06 PM
Looking great.  Love the view from the deck :)

Thanks! I'm getting ready for hammock season.

PS - Glad you made it through that brutal fire season. That was a real doozy and i'm sure very, very stressful for you.

CabinNick

Ya, I am starting to think the only realistic option for us is going to be a snowmobile towing a sled.  I had not thought about any insurance ramifications, will have to look into that.  Regardless of the time of the year, with how remote we are if there is a fire in our cabin it will burn to the ground before any firefighters get there. 

Hopefully all this snow means a more reasonable fire season next year.  Last year was a little hard to stomach.  Several months after purchasing our property we had a 10,000+ acre fire 4 miles to the north of us.  Just when we thought we were in the clear we had another 10,000+ acre fire start 4 miles to the south of us.  Guess we will have a good fire break in the future from other large fires....

rick91351

Quote from: CabinNick on February 05, 2016, 12:13:06 AM
Ya, I am starting to think the only realistic option for us is going to be a snowmobile towing a sled.  I had not thought about any insurance ramifications, will have to look into that.  Regardless of the time of the year, with how remote we are if there is a fire in our cabin it will burn to the ground before any firefighters get there. 

Hopefully all this snow means a more reasonable fire season next year.  Last year was a little hard to stomach.  Several months after purchasing our property we had a 10,000+ acre fire 4 miles to the north of us.  Just when we thought we were in the clear we had another 10,000+ acre fire start asses 4 miles to the south of us.  Guess we will have a good fire break in the future from other large fires....

If you are very remote it is doubtful you are in a fire district for what that is worth.  We are not in one and insurance is underwritten as such.  I am a firm believer in fire set backs. Often times one can contact the USFS and have them drop by and assess your cabin or house spot and how to make it fire safe.  You might spend a few hours raking and cutting bush every weekend for a while but pays off in the long run.  Our ranch has dodged a couple huge fires over the years. I will say one was knocking at the door, one was a couple miles away then made a run for us from the other direction. After you have been through a couple of those you really start looking at cabin or house site management a lot different.

Not being pessimistic at all - but usually heavy snows and heavy spring rains lead to a lot of forest fuels.... which leads to the second or third week of July on to mid September pacing the floor and hoping that the lighting storms pass you by.   ;D  Just sayin'         
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Quote from: midrover170 on February 04, 2016, 01:45:07 PM
Thanks! I'm getting ready for hammock season.

PS - Glad you made it through that brutal fire season. That was a real doozy and i'm sure very, very stressful for you.

Thanks, and yes very stressful!  Now let's hope all this years snow translates into NO fires this summer!!!

OlJarhead

Quote from: CabinNick on February 05, 2016, 12:13:06 AM

Hopefully all this snow means a more reasonable fire season next year.  Last year was a little hard to stomach.  Several months after purchasing our property we had a 10,000+ acre fire 4 miles to the north of us.  Just when we thought we were in the clear we had another 10,000+ acre fire start 4 miles to the south of us.  Guess we will have a good fire break in the future from other large fires....

Dirt is good :)

One of my neighbors treats the ground around his cabin and keeps it down to dirt in the dry months.  He's also removed any close trees and fuel and finally, stores a LOT of water in large feeders.  He uses rain water and fills 1000 gallon pool like feeders with water.  Many others do the same thing (store rainwater or use well water in the wet months to fill barrels etc with water).  The theory being that if the cabin is saveable the fire fighters will try and with the extra water on hand it can't hurt.

A firefighter last year told me "if it is well prepared we will do our best to save it".

CabinNick

Oregon has some very strict land use lawns and regulations for siting buildings in the forest.  We have to design our driveway and turnaround to handle any type of fire equipment, have to have all trees cleared from the cabin site and a fuel free buffer, metal roof and a water source for fire fighting to be able to get our permit.  After seeing last year's fire season I am all for it.

We are developing a spring and then having a small solar pump to pump it uphill to a 1000' gallon tank uphill from the cabin. 

IdahoMatt

Hello.  I was wondering how much your load of lumber was.  Im getting ready to start getting numbers.  I will post what my wife and I are getting ready to build soon.  This is a great restore I'm very excited about this forum

Thanks Matt
Where did you get you lumber?

midrover170

Moving ahead on several projects. Bathroom tile is in, countertops are installed, and I started working on the deck railing. Having fun with the railing as it's good to be working with lumber again. I'm playing with a few ideas for the top... will post more pictures of that soon.

Our septic permit was issued last week  :) I was more than worried about that, but it worked out nicely and I'm really pleased with the system design and where it will go on the property. Hoping to have it set in place in about two weeks. 1,000 gallon concrete tank, 8ft. wide drain trench (with 24" depth of drain rock), two 43ft. pipes. Drain field is actually going on the top of the slope north of the cabin. No vehicles driving over it at all.

The blog has a bit more information if you'd like to keep reading.

CabinNick

Looking great!  Glad your septic worked out.  We just turned in our septic soil test pit application today - $780 just to test the soil! Ouch. 

Enjoy the good weather.