33 X 43 ICF home in South Carolina

Started by MushCreek, May 14, 2012, 06:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MushCreek

I suppose. I'm not real big on landscaping that takes maintenance- that was part of the reason for moving out to the boonies. As long as I can control mud and erosion, I'm happy.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MushCreek on March 07, 2015, 06:30:17 PM
I suppose. I'm not real big on landscaping that takes maintenance- that was part of the reason for moving out to the boonies. As long as I can control mud and erosion, I'm happy.

Maybe landscape was a little harsh.   ;).   I meant basicly to get some grass to control the mud.  I had to deal with this on both my house and cabin.  Seems it never gets done before fall and the end result is tracking it into the newly constructed dwelling in the spring.  Planks, pallets & straw is your only defense until some turf is laid.

MushCreek

I still need some fill to do my final grading, but I'm gonna throw some grass seed down this spring just to tighten things up a bit. We have a really solid gravel drive and walk, and I poured concrete parking areas, so we can get from the cars to the house without getting muddy. Getting the gutters up helped a lot, too, as we don't have all of that water dumping off of the tin roof now. Most of the 'yard' is pretty firm unless we get a lot of rain.
Jay

JohnC

Hi Jay,
We live in a garden home on a 50' wide lot. Our front "yard" is about 50'x50' (concrete driveway and sidewalk), all 3/4 rock, easy to maintain, no erosion, no mowing [cool]. Just a thought if you don't want grass.
John

MushCreek

Time for another update. The big news is that I passed my final inspections, and should get my Certificate of Occupancy in a couple days! 3-1/2 years in- a big job for an old man. There's still a lot to do, but the house is livable. For now, I want to get the baseboards done, the interior doors, and finish painting the trim.

I just finished up the wood floors. They are reclaimed pine, milled from beams from a textile mill built in 1896. I used Waterlox finish- 4 coats of Original, and a final coat of satin to cut down the gloss. The kitchen is just about done. I'm putting the finish on two sections of maple counter top. The rest are Formica. I bought rough-cut maple (cheap) and planed it, jointed it, and glued it up. The guy I bought the flooring from just happens to have a huge 51" sander, and sanded them smooth for me. The pictures here feature lovely particle board temporary counters. The drawer pulls are from old type trays. It took me 4 months to collect the 37 handles I needed from ebay.

There are a couple pics of the powder room, partially finished. I used mosaic tiles on the floor, and there is a detail shot of the wainscoting. I might use the same pattern in the living room. I see that there are a lot of things I don't have finished pics of, so there will be at least one more update. I know this house is different than what most of you are building, but the same principles apply. Any questions, just fire away!

Jay

pmichelsen

Love all of the little details, the place looks great.

Danfish

Congratulations!!!

A fine job from a real craftsman.

misspriss

Looks amazing! I am researching ICF for our new home we will be building next year, or the next maybe  ;) Great to read your story!

speedfunk

really coming together...paitence it takes lol.   [cool]

MushCreek

I see I'm long overdue for another update! At this point, we're calling it 'done'! Just about everything is finished; I'm just touching up the baseboards now.

Here's the exterior as of a few days ago. I finally got around to painting the front door and garage door.

Looking in the front door. A friend who is a stained glass artist is goin to make a piece for the transom over the opening.

I put a lot of work into our little powder room. The sink and wall sconces are antique; the two small cabinets I made to match the room. There is a picture rail molding at 8' high that the little novelty plates are hanging from.

The kitchen came out nice. There are 32 drawers! The counters are maple that I bought rough cut and planed, jointed, sanded, and finished.; others are Formica.

We're beyond thrilled with the way the house came out, and how well it suits our needs. It is incredibly energy efficient with the two mini-splits (we only run one at a time) and all LED lighting. I plan to eventually finish a room in the basement, as we only have one bedroom, and finish the bathroom down there. It's already roughed in. I have lots of other projects planned as well, such as building a great room in the barn, and setting up me shop out there. I'll probably never lay my tools down for good until they carry me out toes-first!
Jay

azgreg

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Looks really nice. Good craftsmanship.  Never stop or a least I haven't.  Just move to another project.  Keeps you young and on the right side of the grass. ;D

NathanS

Incredible job. What a great looking house. And those ICF walls will be there for hundreds of years.