20 x 28 with 2nd bedroom in upstate ny

Started by new land owner, May 15, 2011, 04:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new land owner

doc

The bench will be against the top left wall and their will be two chairs on the other side of the table.  My wife found two old chairs in the attic and she repainted them.

new land owner

This is the look I am going for at my camp.  Minus the numbers on the table. lol

new land owner

Took a short trip to camp this past weekend to work some more on my porch.

6 x6 posts and Beams gives it that cabin look I have been looking for.  I think the porch will turn it from a small house into a small cabin!

Those beams are very heavy, but it all worked out well.

My wife and I decided the railings look a little sparce, so I took them back home with me and and going to work on filling in the space we have.  I am thinking about framing a box around the middle of eack "X".

We have a new neighbor at camp.

Sassy

That porch will be a really nice addition!  Things are looking good.  You have a pretty cute new neighbor  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

AdironDoc

The porch will most certainly add "cabin" to your build, especially with the classic Adirondack "X" railing. If you want to drive that home even further, you can always adorn it a bit. I've seen some nice porches with bent wood diagonals up where the posts meet the beams, even Adirondack twig-style sunburst spokes in the corners. It's often the little things that make a huge difference in the flavor. For example, a simple colonial, after some scalloped facade, becomes a classic victorian. Siding and finish will also make a huge difference. Can't wait to see how yours progresses. Looks great!

Oh yes, up here, many camps are named. Not so for houses! I added my nickname to the camp with a sign hanging in front.

http://www.lodgeandcabinsigns.com/

Doc

new land owner

Doc

I like the sign!  We are still working on the name for ours. lol

Tom

Checi

new land owner

Here is my new and improved railing.  I will be staining it all the same brown color.  I think this adds something to the design.

AdironDoc

Quote from: Checi on July 10, 2012, 09:07:35 AM
Great name Doc!

Naming the cabin was easy... after all, I already had a nickname!  :P

AdironDoc

Quote from: new land owner on July 10, 2012, 02:07:00 PM
Here is my new and improved railing.  I will be staining it all the same brown color.  I think this adds something to the design.

Wow, now that's a winner! Great job on that!

Doc

new land owner

This past weekend I installed the new and improved railings.

I also added the window casings and the 2 x 4 ceiling joists.

Next time I make it north I intend to install the roof rafters.  I had a sample 12' and found that If I place the 12 footer it lands about half way up the roof line and I figure just shy of 4 12 pitch. This will  be a 2 x 6 and I will have 2 x 4 bracing down to the ceiling joists.

mountainlady1956

I love how your cabin is coming along. The porch railing looks great as do your kitchen cabinets. Very talented! I'm looking forward to seeing the punched tin doors.
Cathy

new land owner

Spent the better part of last week working at camp.  We also went to our 35 high school reunion. Can't believe it has been that long ago.

Started the week by shingling the bedroom and then making a template for the roof rafters. It was alot easier than I thought it would be.

I placed a 2 x 6 on the roof to carry the rafter ends.  I also build a knee wall half way down the roof for added support.

We then built both the end walls.  These will be faced with the board and batten that will cover the rest of the camp.

This is how I left it for the next trip.  I need to decide if I am going to install part of the chimney now and finish the rest in the spring.  I am not sure how much I have to buy right now to get a good start while I am on the roof now.  It seems like it would be the way to go but money is always an issue. Has anyone done something like that? 

new land owner

Big week at camp!

Started by moving my small building

Then got the septic installed

I was worried about the seal on my Pressure treated foundation so I cut an 1" strip off an end cap and used caulk to seal it to the wall.

I have all of the DWV installed. Once I get the tub/shower unit I will cut in the vent and drain.

I also installed my stainless steel chimney.

Lastly I ran the power to the building and have about half of the siding installed

waterbug

Very nice - your place has really come along in the last few weeks!

UK4X4

Looks like some one has been very busy - looking good !

mogie01

Really nice work.  Your place is looking great! [cool]

new land owner

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments.

last week was a big week.

I am going to insulate over the winter  I hope to be statying in it next year.

mountainlady1956

Oh I think the color suits the house well. The railing revision you did is perfect. Looks very warm and welcoming ;D

markert2523

I really like the substantial porch.  I was hoping you could give some details on how you installed/attached the 6x6 posts to the porch floor.  Did you pin them to the bottom support posts or strap them on a side--or both?

Thanks

new land owner

As far as how I attached the post, I built the deck of the porch first and just made sure that my posts in the ground would line up with the deck posts.  I then placed the deck post right on the deck and secured them with screws at an angle.  I used timberlock screws on top of the posts to keep everything together and intend to go from underneath with as couple of screws as well. Once I have my railings secured I don't think the posts are going anywhere.

GlideNRide

The proverbial question. How much money do you have in the project. I just purchased land in the Central Adirondacks around Piseco Lake. Huge snow loads. Last year was snowless, but Piseco had well over 2'. I want to retire here so I'm looking to build one floor living like you. I've heard of wood foundations, so this was awesome seeing it actuall done. I assume this foundation wouldn't be suitable for 2 or 1 1/2 stories. Thanks.

ColchesterCabin

From the distance shot of the siding I am presuming Board and batten. I love the color combination.
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

new land owner

As for how much I have into my camp.  As it sits I have spent just over $30,000. Outside, I am 100% closed in, the roof is complete, chimney is in and  I have purchased all the wood I need to complete my siding. Inside all cabinets are built, partition walls are complete and stove and frig are purchased. I have completed most of the plumbing and all of the rough wiring.  I  do not know if the wood foundation would support more than on story but I would think so.

Redoverfarm

Nice build.  I did notice that you put adequate clean outs on the waste lines.  Not that you will re-do them but maybe suggest to other builders that happen across this tread that a Sweeping "T" would be better suited on the main stack that exits the wall between the two clean outs.  It is very difficult to use a snake on a straight T if you ever develope a clog.