20 x 28 with 2nd bedroom in upstate ny

Started by new land owner, May 15, 2011, 04:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new land owner

Reoverfarm

I am not sure where I should have installed the sweeping "T"  The picture below shows my plumbing and the Main vent is in the forground.
The drain for the bathroom is next and the toilet is closest to the wall.  Thanks for the input as I am learning as I go.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: new land owner on September 23, 2012, 05:52:49 AM
Reoverfarm

I am not sure where I should have installed the sweeping "T"  The picture below shows my plumbing and the Main vent is in the forground.
The drain for the bathroom is next and the toilet is closest to the wall.  Thanks for the input as I am learning as I go.

That picture is better from that angle.  The "T" You have is a sanitary above the the lower cleanout where it changes to the horizontal run.  Given the short distance you may be OK.  The picture from the other angle looks to be a standard "T" which will not let a cleanout snake make that downward turn ( from Horizontal to verticle).  A sweeping "T" lets the snake go verticle more easily from that horizontal run.  If you develope a clog in the area above or around that 45 deg "T" 2"(?) the lower cleanout  "T" will not let you go upwards because the sweep is going outward.

new land owner

Went up to camp for the new years and did some more insulation.  I have all the walls and about 1/2 of the ceiling complete.  I have sold my camper to a friend of the family and they will be taking it in the spring.  This move me ahead of my plan to stay in the camp so I need to get going on the water system.  I figure the bedroom is completely insulated and usable, all I need to get the bathroom complete so we can stay there while working.

The weather in upstate NY has been great and I have been in the garage working on some projects for camp.
I built a TV stand/bookcase for the TV my wife and I bought each other for xmas.

I build a medicine cabinet using an old mirror that was in my mothers house.  The mirror itself needs to be replaced before I install it.

I also built a headboard for the bed I have at camp.

Can't wait until spring.

new land owner

I have spent a few weekends working on the insulation.  Most of it is complete and I should be able to finish in less than a day.

I shot a video of the inside, not sure if this link will work. My first You Tube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oc1nIqZ5r8&feature=youtu.be

new land owner

My wife and I spent the weekend working on projects for camp.

She put three coats of paint on the kitchen cabinet doors.

I spent the weekend making the counter tops for the camp.  I started with rough sawn 2" Hard maple and planned the pieces down to 1 1/2. This wood has been drying for about 10 years and I know why the call it hard maple. I still have alot of sanding to do but was wondering what others have used for a clear coat stain?

Don_P

A friend borrowed the trailer tonight and is dropping off a 16'x18" diameter rock maple log tomorrow... I think it'll become 2- 8' logs to spare the body.

I'm kind of partial to Waterlox but  pure tung oil would be a drying/sealing oil that is foodsafe, takes a decent number of coats to get a build for my taste. I'd hit all sides in a kitchen environment.

Ron W

There is a paste called  Emmet's Good Stuff. It is made for counter tops.
http://www.butcherblock.com/shop/emmets-good-stuff-2/   
It is what we use in our cabinet shop.

new land owner

Spent the last few days at camp.

I removed my deck from the camper, will be sold next month so I need to get the camp at least livable.

I created a room in the basement so I can set up the water supply. 

Here is the room with all of the water supply systems in it.  Next trip it should not take long to run the Pex supply lines.

I also brought up the counter tops to check the fit.  I think they are going to look great with the cabinets painted green. I found a product called woodlox and that is what I will be treating the counter tops with.  I did a sample piece and it looked great

I built a riser for the wood stove and I plan to tile the entire bottom and at some point if I want a larger stove all i will need to do is to remove the riser and I will be ready to go. I still have to create the back piece, but I have a plan for that.

Placed the Leopold benches on the front deck until I get to making the fire pit.

Lastly I installed the gate I built a few years ago.  I still have to stain it brown but I think it came out good.

new land owner

Big week at camp this past week. 
I sold my camper and moved into the camp.

Worked on the water system and after fixing a few leaks everything worked out well.

I planned out a bunch of wood and got a good start on the bathroom.

I also got all the final pipe to install the wood stove.

Finally the big event was passing both my rough wiring inspection and insulation inspections.  Looking forward to getting started on the walls.

new land owner

This first picture is what my lot looked like five years ago.

This picture is from the same spot last week. 

Can't wait to see what it will look like in the next five years.

archimedes

The place is coming along great.  Nice job.

Why the large water tank?  Are you doing rainwater collection?  Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

new land owner

The water tank is used as I do not have a well.  Wells in my area are 400 ft deep and I estimate around $10,000

speedfunk

like the before and after..it looks great man...  [cool]

new land owner

I haven't posted in a while but here is an update.

It has been a very productive summer, lots of changes.

My wife helped me stain the bottom portion of the camp

We finally decided on a name for our camp and I made a sign using my new router stencil kit.

Spent some time on the 4wheeler looking for foliage pictures

This is one of my favorites.

Back to camp I spent the better part of the morning planning 1" rough sawn pine down to ¾" and used the table saw to put a ship lap on it.

This is the first wall I paneled with the pine.  I really like the look.

I made a new table for the dining area.  I just need to get the chairs my wife painted to complete the area.  I also made the bar stools.  I was lucky enough to get a large supply of hard rock maple for free.

astidham

I love your place! very pleasing to look at! nice work.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

new land owner

new land owner

Went up for a quick weekend.

Cleaned up my wood pile and used the two new racks I built to get a supply of wood on the front porch so it will be handy this winter.

I bought a new splitting maul and finished up splitting some wood my brother started for me.

It has been a long time since I have split wood, felt good to get it all done.

new land owner

Went up a few weekends ago to do some work at camp.

l
The big project this year will be to get the kitchen complete.  To do so I need to get a ceiling installed.  I spent most of my time putting furing strips on the ceiling in order to have something to attach the dry wall to. 

I intend to use 1 x 6 to frame out the ceiling so I do not have to tape any joints. I will have to mud the screw hole in the field but using the wood to frame out the rest should make the job much easier.

Megaminya

Could you give more information PWF such as a report on the construction of the house And then we have this thing in Russia unknown and nobody knows anything

new land owner

Went up this weekend with plans to drywall the main room of camp. Started the weekend by snow blowing a path to the camp.  I would say there is at least 2 feet of new snow. I was there three weeks ago and shoveled a path.  There was no sign of the path I shoveled on the last trip.

Here is my wife placing blue tape to help me locate the strapping. Even with the markers I can't believe how many time I missed. I guess that's why that make large buckets of drywall compound.

We have the drywall installed in the kitchen area and are starting to work on the ceiling.

My daughter, Hilary, my other daughters boy friend Brandon and I are trying to put up a full size sheet.  It worked well having Hilary walk up the other side of my ladder and hold the drywall while I secured it.

My wife and daughters sitting at the bar waiting for a beer.

First coat of tape on the kitchen.  Most of the seams on the ceiling will be covered in wood in a grid pattern. Only have three sheets left to finish the ceiling.

Left this morning and the temp had dropped to -17. Could not get the camp over 60 degrees.  Next year we will have the newer, Larger stove installed.

pocono_couple

what an inspiring thread to read!    great job on the cabin - it looks very inviting.    I am particularly impressed with all of the cabinetry etc. that you are adding..    When i saw your  pic showing the leopold benches, I immediately did some searches for plans..  only to find that there were some right here!    my search turned up this  post  which will melt the hearts of  animal lovers here on the site    http://www.nwf.org/photocontest/ViewPhoto.aspx?imageid=397225

looking forward to seeing what you get done this spring!    jt

ed in cny

Been watching this build right through. Can't wait to see it complete. Great job.

new land owner

Ed in CNY

Do you have a project going? or a plan in place.

new land owner

The weather today in central new York was great. Gave me a chance to get out into the garage and not have to put on the heat.  I have been working on a storage solution for the mud room at camp.  I will create a face frame once I get it installed.  This will give us a place to sit down, take off the boots in the winter. I figure we can us the bottom shelves for recycling and the upper three shelve will hold firewood for the wood stove.  Now all I have to do is wait for the 3 feet of snow to melt in the Adirondacks.

new land owner

I went up this past weekend to work on the kitchen.  Started by making a plumb line on the wall and as I was working alone I attached a piece of strapping  to the wall to sit the upper cabinets on while I fastened them.

I have all the cabinets installed as well as the microwave.

Here is a picture with all of the drawers and doors installed. My sister in Law gave us the stepping stone on the left and my wife and I created this divider.  We like how it looks when you walk in the front door of our camp.

After I installed the uppers I took the time to install the under cabinet lighting.  It was much easier to do without the lower cabinets to lean over.

This last picture show the drawer pulls and knobs I bought at lowe's.  I really like how they look with the green cabinets.

This is by far the most productive two days I have had at camp.  It is great to see everything coming together.