Plans for a 8X12 shed to be used as cabin?

Started by Bobjr59, July 27, 2010, 07:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobjr59

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find Plans for a 8X12 shed to be used as cabin?
hopefully with a barn type roof and loft to use for sleeping

Bobjr59

Since there seems to be no plans I'm thinking of drawing one myself and see what Ya think?

i wish we were up north

Hi,

The building centers have plans for sheds like you are interested in for about $10.  Some of the building centers sell them as kits too.  Not sure about code on these plans but they're out there.

Our 12x16 shed was built by a local guy and delivered for about the same $$ we would have spent if we'd done it ourselves.  Built with 2x6 walls, extra skids, windows, doors etc.  We didn't get any personal satisfaction from it though!

If you're planning on living in it for any length of time go as big as you can.  We camped in ours until we got busted by the county and it was still a little "tight" sometimes and we don't have much gear.  Just large dogs ya' know?

Oh, and check your county and township restrictions, ours was permitted ONLY for storage.  No exceptions, no way. 

Bobjr59

It's just me so I was looking at 8X12 with a 4 ft porch making it 16ft deep from front stoop with the living area on the first floor being 8X12X7 and sleeping loft being the full 8X16X6  which is more room then I had in my tractor and more then in my van if I went with the shed 16X24X14 HD sells I'd have to follow the building code

oblivionboyj

I am new here, so I apologise if it is not OK to post links...

There are 2 sites in particular that I seem to be able to find plans for things when I need them.

One is a page full of agricultural plans from the University of TN...
http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/extension/extpubs/planlist97.htm
They have plans for a variety of buildings listed by intended use, I am sure there is one that will be a good match.

The other is a page called gunrunner, where he just posts what seems to be plans for things that are becoming hard to find, or are just generally useful...
http://www.jgokey.com/homeandfarm.htm

Hope that helps  ;)

John Raabe

I don't know if you realize it or not but you are posting in the Plans Support forum. This is where we help people who have bought MY plans - Not where we try and sell plans from others.

The plans I have that could be of interest is the Little House Plans kit - http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/29.html

That doesn't mean people can't talk on the forum about projects that used other plans - I support that, in the general forum, just not in this special support forum. Many folks here have my plans and have built from them, and these more experienced folks come here to help answer the questions of others newer to building. When you buy plans from CountryPlans this forum is part of what you help to pay for.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

John Raabe

Thanks to oblivionboyj for the Ag extension link. I have added this to the Web Resource page under the Plans and Information section. That is part of the FREE TOOLS section of the website.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Bobjr59

John I was hoping y'all had some plans for a 8X12 barn type roof cabin with a 8X16 loft nothing to big so I don't have to fool with building permits