change of plans

Started by tesa, April 28, 2010, 01:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tesa

is it possible to build the 1 1/2 story WITHOUT the 1/2 story??

can't i just frame the walls to be shorter, basically only building a one story?

way back in the beginning of things, i had considered building the 1 1/2 story as a 20'X40' but thought it too big

now i'm reconsidering it, building it as a 20'X40' but not building the loft, we decided it will be enough room at 20'X40',
and i'd like to have exposed beams so i wouldn't want the loft

thoughts?

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

OkieJohn2

Have you already purchased the 1 1/2 story plans?  John also has the 1 story 20 x 30 plan.
http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/46.html
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

tesa

yes, i've already purchased them.

and the funny part?

we THOUGHT we were sure of what we wanted, i agonized over the decission, and now we want the other one

i'm hoping i can make these plans work for us

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

John Raabe

Yes, you can just build the one story walls to the height you want for the ceiling and then have the local truss company build trusses (24: o/c) for the roof structure. They will factor in the local loads.

If you want, they likely can make different shapes for you interior ceiling other than just flat. Ask about an "energy" truss if you want a highly insulated ceiling.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

tesa

phew! thanks, one less thing to stress over

man, this home building is FULL of decissions!!

we wanted to do site build trusses, and contract out the metal roof install

do i have to go with off site built?

tesa

tesa

sorry, i'm confussed, or tired, or both, but we're not doing trusses, we're doing rafters

tesa

John Raabe

Use 2x8 rafters and 2x8 ceiling joists both @ 24" o/c. See "Basic Gable Roof"  Chptr 9 in Wagner book.
None of us are as smart as all of us.