Victoria's 16' wide plans

Started by hnash53, April 21, 2010, 09:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hnash53

Is there any problem with lengthening the Victoria's cottage plans to 36'?  I found out today that the 20' wide plan may be too wide for the lot I am thinking of purchasing.  To get the square footage I need, I would need to lengthen from 28' to 36'.  Also, can 10' walls be used to provide 2' knee walls in the loft(s)?  And finally, any problem with putting a 3/4 bath in the loft?

Thanks for your input.

Hal

John Raabe

For major changes to the Victoria plan I suggest you do an overlay sketch of what you would like to change and then work with a local home designer or engineer to modify the drawings. That house has an internal beam and post system of supports and each of those loads will need to be reviewed and adjusted when changes are made. The sidewalls as designed are 12' tall to provide an almost 4' kneewall at the loft.

The simpler 16' wide Studio house that is included in the Victoria plans may work better for your site. While that plan shows an outline footprint of 16'x 28' that length can be extended as the Studio house version has no ridge or interior beams or posts. However, there is no specific interior layout for this house so you would need to work that up yourself. The large loft has plenty of room for a 3/4 bath. The upper level kneewall in the studio house can be as tall as 5'.

Hope that helps.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

hnash53

Thanks, John, for the comments on the 16' wide Studio House.

Since you say there is no specific interior layout for the Studio House, does that mean I would have to hire someone to draft the layout for me showing details, wiring, plumbing, etc?  And if so, what would something like that cost me?  Even a rough ball park figure would be enlightening.

Thanks.  Hal

MountainDon

Depending on one's DIY skills that is something you may be able to do yourself. That may also be dependent on the building inspection department, if there is one, that will pass/fail the submitted plans.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

Yes, you would want to layout a custom interior, put in windows and doors, and probably place the electrical outlets switches and fixtures (although this is often easier to do at the framing stage).

See this article on using our PlanHelp template files: http://www.planhelp.com/public/92.cfm

Look specifically at this page for a starter layout: http://www.planhelp.com/public/programs/downloadsearch.cfm?keywords=3dha&searchtype=keyword&searchmode=keyword&cat=all&sortby=recent&search=search

See the 16x28 Cottage plan.

This self design process may produce all the drawings that are needed for your building project. If not, then you can look for local help.
None of us are as smart as all of us.