Extending the Big Enchilada Plans, from 14'x24' to 14'x36'?

Started by georgedonnelly, April 17, 2010, 03:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgedonnelly

Hi, I purchased the Big Enchilada plans and am interested in extending the 14' x 24' Builder's Cottage to 14' x 36'. I'm a newbie builder but have done some research. I read the House Framing book and another one on solo building. It seems like it's no big deal to make the change I'm proposing because it doesn't seem to alter the weight-bearing aspect. Is this right?

Also, assuming that's correct, does it make sense to break that long wall into 2 or more sections and raise each one individually?

I'll be building mainly by myself but probably with the help of a more experienced assistant or two.

Thanks!

MountainDon

w*  georgedonnelly

You are absolutely correct, making a plan longer is easy. Increasing the width is another story.

If you had a wall raising crew for the sidewalls you could build in one two segments. Working alone of with one helper I'd break it up into 16 to 20 feet sections, maybe even shorter. Definitely shorter if you were to sheath the framing as it lays flat on the deck. Applying at least a couple of sheets of the exterior sheathing. Getting the wall perfectly square is easir with the wall framing flat on the deck, but more difficult to lift.

If you build the walls in sections here's how to handle the joints in the framing...  Erect one section. Erect the next. There's is no stud yet at the joint.

Then the stud is toe nailed in place.

If you build the walls in section you will need to plan around the windows and doors.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

The upper plate will be nailed in place overlapping the joints in the top plate, as well overlapping the corners to tie the structure together better.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.