28 inch exterior door too small?

Started by OlJarhead, November 20, 2009, 02:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Opinions on door sizes appreciated.

You see, I planned for a 30" door and like a bum framed for a 28 inch door (put the cripple and stud on the wrong side of the line in a hurry).

So, should I fix it or just stick in the 28 inch door and move on?  It is a cabin after all!

MountainDon

It's your call. Current IRC code calls for the entry/egress door to be a minimum width of 36" with a 6'8" minimum height. . I have no idea if that's what your state calls for, so it's your call.    ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on November 20, 2009, 02:30:12 PM
It's your call. Current IRC code calls for the entry/egress door to be a minimum width of 36" with a 6'8" minimum height. . I have no idea if that's what your state calls for, so it's your call.    ???

Wow!  I never thought of that at all -- DOH!

I just looked at doors and figured a 30" door would be fine and moved on....DOH!  d* d* ???

So, I guess I better put my thinking cap on because I should probably take a look at the space I've got and see what's there and if I can push that out another 8"....I'm sure I can.

OlJarhead

As I search through the codes (nonsense) I find countless references to door loads and pressure to open and whatnot...but finding a specific WAC (washington state administrative code) for door sizes is impossible.

Screw it.  I'm not permitting anyway so I'll stick in a 36" door and be done with it...

I was debating the smaller one becuase I figured what's two inches going to matter but once I realized the size of a standard door (thanks to your post since I hadn't taken a tape measure to mine) I realized that maybe I better stick with wider since it's the only one!

Thanks!~

bayview

It would be nearly impossible to move furniture throught a 28" or 30" door . . .

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Redoverfarm

I would opt to re-frame for a 36" entry.  A little more work but doable.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Redoverfarm on November 20, 2009, 04:16:47 PM
I would opt to re-frame for a 36" entry.  A little more work but doable.

Yup -- took a tape to my door at home and had a light bulb moment of sorts.

Just realized I should have done that months ago!  DOH!

muldoon

Quote from: bayviewps on November 20, 2009, 04:04:00 PM
   It would be nearly impossible to move furniture throught a 28" or 30" door . . .

or a wheelchair