My plans arrived, I have a few questions

Started by cedarglen, August 27, 2005, 02:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cedarglen

Thank you for sending my plans promptly. I need to get them through plan check by Oct. 29th for political reasons. I have a few questions: (I bought the Universal 2 story)

1. The 8 1/2 x 11 READ ME FIRST guide mentions electrical and plumbing layouts on sheet 15. I don't see anything but electrical there, am I missing something?

2. Has anybody ever had snow load calculations done on the Joist and Rafter Roof? Are they known?

3. I saw a note that stated wall studs at 24" on center. Would 16" on center be advisable in snow areas?

4. Are there floor plan layouts in 3d Home Architect format available for download?

thank you
Charles

John Raabe

All the information the plumber needs is the location of the fixtures as shown in the plans. The actual exit out to the sewer and septic is a site specific layout that will not normally be required by the building Dept. If it is the plumber will be able to help lay that out for your site.

For the rafter system the standard DF #2 rafter will support a 40 psf live (snow) load and a 15 psf dead load (tile roof). This is sufficient for most snow load areas except in high mountain areas. Rafters can be easily up sized if the inspector has a higher load you must meet.

Spacing the studs closer does little to make the wall carry more weight, it just increases the heat loss. More important is the sheathing and the nailing.

Sorry, no 3DHA layouts at this time.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

cedarglen

Thank you for your reply. They require a 75 pound per square foot snow load in my area (crazy because we are only at 5100'). Do you have any idea if we can achieve that with heavier rafters or will we need to go to engineered trusses? We are in an area a crane can not get to so I hope to use rafters.

John Raabe

You can probably get there with upsizing to 2x10 rafters. Check with the building inspector or an engineer.
None of us are as smart as all of us.