how to illustrate a brace wall in plans?

Started by Mia, July 26, 2005, 08:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mia

The county permit folks say we need a brace wall, since our intended house is over 35 feet long. (I, um, modified the plans.)   The floor plan is pretty much open.  There is a 9 foot long wall about 20 feet from the north end that can be the brace wall. I understand the concept, but how do I illustrate it for them?
We're in NW Oregon, have to be ready for possible earthquakes.
Any links for drawing your own house plans?  ( I have some books, but they don't have everything, apparently.)
thanks.
You can't have everything without having too much of something.

PEG688

Mia  We just put BWP adjacent to the wall in question . Or IBWP (interior Brace wall pnl .  Then put on the plan if it's a BWP  #1  , or #2, etc , And detail/ footnote of  what that means .  Like   ( BWP #1:   1/2 OSB , or CDX ply , 16 " OC nailed every 4 " on all edges , 6" OC in the field , with 8d common nails . )   Your county building dept  should be able to give you a chart of what "type " pnls they will want / require .

Big open interior spaces like your talking will require , (some where around 26 or 28 feet they want IBWP , ) more than likely , some Interior Brace walls, solid blocking at all SR edges screwed / nailed to a higher nail partern .   Again a note adjacent to the wall and a footnote as to what that type BWP / IBWP requirements are .  

Good luck , HTBH  ;)PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

John Raabe

Here is some additional information to add to PEG. There are two types of braced wall panels. To show them on the plans use the following notation: (mark these on the floorplan)

BWP - a 4' long section of wall with standard structural sheathing. Just mark this on the outside of a wall section at least 4' wide. (see nailing etc above).

ABWP - Alternative Braced wall panel. A 2'-8" section of wall with extra blocking and hold downs.

If you don't have room for a BWP use a ABWP and have them give you the detail for building it. These can also be supplied by Simpson.

For simple (prescriptive or non-engineered) bracing you probably need one of the above starting within 8' of each corner and every 25' thereafter.
None of us are as smart as all of us.