Shed roof design

Started by river place, March 26, 2009, 06:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

river place

The small home design we had done by a freind uses a shed roof which the wife and I prefer.Originally this was to be cement block or SIPs but now we're thinking I can do the framing myself and save a lot.  Framing isn't a problem as I've done it in the past.

I'm going to join the plans support forum to get the shed plans so my question is can the plans be modified to fit a 20x60 sized house and the roof having 1 to 2ft overhang on one side (tall side) and an 8ft over hang on the other to cover a porch.  The porch end will have support for the roof so it's not cantilevered from the house.  Interior wise the roof will be full span with no supports.

glenn kangiser

You are wanting a 20' wide shed roof? 

John's 20' wide will give you the basic design and the length extension is no problem.  Clear span with that long of over hangs will likely require engineered wood.  That in a flat roof would be over 30' wide.

Wide flat roofs are more susceptible to leaking.  Snow loading could be a problem - I forget where you are at.  You can add your location to your signature or alternate text.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

river place

Roofing material will be metal and not too much of a snow load in the mid AR area.  I ight be able to put a center beam in that runs the 60ft and support it every 10 to 12ft however the kitchen and living area is open plan so I also have to consider that.  Maybe a steel beam down the center as I can us my MIG to join 3 sections if I need to.

Thanks for the help

John Raabe

There are a couple of people working on shed roofed plans over at our sister site PlanHelp.com (Check the forum posts.)

Here is a free download for PlanHelp members (Information on how to join HERE). It is not fully developed working drawings as are our plans for sale here... it's a work in process that will likely evolve into a new plan with full structural details (but not there yet)

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Don_P

Our house is similar and initial planning was very similar. I  put in a second floor in the raised rear section and changed the upper roof to a gable to help shade the glass in the summer. All 4/12's with 2' overhangs. It is basically 3 14'x36' units, 2 below and one stacked over the rear one. The upper clerestory windows began design as horizontal sliders to vent in the summer until during construction I realized that the air rolling up the lower shed roof towards those windows was incredibly hot during daylight hours. I ordered thermopane fixed glass and site built those as fixed units. Chimney is centrally located and stairs wrap it. The design can be easily expanded to the north side with another 14x36 lower level forming a structure similar to a monitor barn. I framed and headered the south and end windows at slider rough opening dimensions and found horizontal slider windows to fit that width. If I want to extend or put a door in it makes blowing out easy. At 1500 sf in the VA Blue Ridge we've been through about 10 gallons of K1 and 3 cords this winter heating it. If I tightened up the cheapo doors I'm sure I could cut a cord off of that.

Infiltration, then insulation, then insolation. I've got 2 pretty well licked but the most important for energy efficiency is infiltration.

John Raabe

Well put!

Air leaks can be a real problem, especially with certain types of construction.
None of us are as smart as all of us.