ridgeboard length

Started by Jumpinfrog, November 18, 2008, 11:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumpinfrog

Hey all,
Is there a general rule of length when it comes to the ridgeboard? My length of the building is 32'(20x32 one story cottage), would I extend it like 1' past the gable ends or more? Also, is there a point on rafter length overhang where it makes it difficult to add a shed roof for a porch along the 32' side under the eave later on?

MountainDon

On the rafter overhang... if you know for certain you are going to add a shed roof there, it would simplify things if you planned and built it as you frame the main roof. Whether or not the gable roof rafters will be in the way, or by how much depends on variables such as... is this for a porch... how much lower is the porch floor in relation to the house floor. How far out from the house wall will the shed roof extend. That's just two that come to mind.

On some designs it will be best to start the shed roof up on the slope of the main roof, rather than under the eve.

Depends.  :-\
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

as for ridgeboard length there no hard and fast rule, but it is customary to make the gable end roof overhang the same as the eve overhang. But I broke that rule on my cabin.   heh

I planned my side eves to stick out far enough to block the summer sun from hitting the windows. However, they allow some of the lower winter sun to strike the glass.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jumpinfrog

It was the picture of your cabin that made me wonder. The framing book said same as eve but I was just wondering if there was a minimum overhang? How much is your's Mtn Don? A foot or so?

cordwood

If you want use a block and tackle to put hay in your attic you could stick it out a couple feet! I know, No help. :(
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

Quote from: cordwood on November 18, 2008, 11:41:52 PM
If you want use a block and tackle to put hay in your attic you could stick it out a couple feet! I know, No help. :(

Like this, Cordwood? hmm

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

cordwood

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 19, 2008, 12:10:59 AM
Quote from: cordwood on November 18, 2008, 11:41:52 PM

Like this, Cordwood? hmm

WOW!!! Thats nice!!!!! Oh and yes thats what I am talking about ;)
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

glenn kangiser

That's my little 2 story garage, changed from John's Little House Plans to post and beam by me - to take advantage of Wawona Bridge timbers and Bass Lake Boat Docks.

To keep from hi-jacking John's support thread, here is a link to the project - we can comment more there if necessary. :)

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=1166.0
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.