Cabinets?

Started by Nevada_Mike, May 14, 2005, 07:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nevada_Mike

John,

I am looking at the plans and I am wondering if the cabinets in the plans are a stock size.  Again, I am not so great at reading plans.  I am shipping a trailer hopefully loaded with cabinets etc. up in a few weeks and don't have the luxury of measuring and running down to the old Home Depot. Any help with the cabinet sizes would be appreciated.

Thanks again, Mike

Have there ever been discussions about cabin exchanges on this board?

glenn kangiser

I just checked out cabinets for our rental house.  They are 24 inches deepx 34 inches high on base units- with top total about 36 if using 2" top.   12x30 or 42 inches high for wall units.  They come in 6 inch increments on widths and various widths can be added together to make your desired lengthDifferent ways to do corners but base unit I chose called easy reach takes up 3' of wall space.  Sink base unit I chose was 36" but wider was available 42" as I remember.

Here is a free kitchen planner from IKEA.  Should have standard size stuff there.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/rooms_ideas/kitchen/download1.html
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Shelley

You know, I would bet that the ever-knowledgeable Mr. Raabe has made them stock sizes.

In case he's not around,  they start at 12" and go in increments of 6".  There are filler strips available from the mfgs to take care of the odd inch or two.

I'm so jealous of you.  Seems like only yesterday that you poured the foundation.    Now you're talking about cabinets.  Gotta get down there so I can expedite.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

glenn kangiser

Another thought - the Mills Pride ones at Home Depot are broken down flat and would ship easier rather than shipping built cabinets.  They have quick fasteners if I remember right.  Also they have a couple of 6" wide top and base units with fronts that look like false drawers which I hadn't seen in other styles.  

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

trish

My new condo has the sexy white raised panel thermofile doors that are all the rage now.  Hate them!!  The get dirty so easy that I'm wiping them down twice a week. My input is to avoid those door fronts.

I'm helping a friend remodel her kitchen and we're using Mills Pride but with different door fronts.  Also, we're building the counter tops to extend 1 1/2 inches over the front of the base cabinets so that spills will fall to the floor and not dribble down the front of the cabinets.

Have worked with the home depot mills pride on other projects and they're ok; not great but ok.  Buy  some small extra metal L brackets to reinforce as needed.  

glenn kangiser

You're right about all that, Trish.  Medium quality but OK, and the best thing you said is about extending the counter top .  I hate the idea of spills running into the cabinets or drawers below.

John Raabe

Mike:

If I remember right you have the 20' wide 1.5 story plan.

That was laid out in 3DHA for standard cabinet sizes. Those are lazy susans on either side of the sink, a 30" wide base unit next to the DW (I would use pull out drawers here for pots and pans), and a 24" unit next to the Refr (I would do a drawer bank). The uppers follow the same sizes and you may or may not want to do uppers over the passover counter.

Hope this helps.

You can get much more sophisticated with something like the Ikea on-line designer or go into any home store and they will have a similar 3D program that will use their cabinet line and work up various designs from the dimensions on the plans.

PS - It is always advisable to wait to order things like cabinets if you can. You will have a much better idea of what you want when the space is framed up and you can stand there and think about it — and maybe mock something up with cardboard boxes.
None of us are as smart as all of us.