Gable Overhang

Started by Alberta Curt, August 20, 2008, 08:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberta Curt

what is the typical length of a gable overhang?

MountainDon

Hmmm. Most often it matches the eves overhang.

There's no hard and fixed rule as far as I know though.

Around here in the 'burbs 16" seems common.

I made the eves and gable overhangs different on my cabin though. Approx. 24 inches at the eves and 5 1/2 inches at the gable ends.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Alberta Curt

Thanks.  Actually, that is why I asked the question.  I was looking at pictures of your gable ends and noticed they were shorter.  Is there any reason you went with 5 1/2?

MountainDon

No particular reason. Mainly I didn't want to have 24 inches. 5 1/2 was simply what it worked out to. Actually on rethinking it's 4 1/2 inches.

At the door end there's going to be a shed roofed porch area. It also seemed wasteful to have the main roof overhang it a bunch.

???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeT

On my place on the Oregon Coast, I have about 20" on the eaves and the same on the rake (gable ends).  I do not know what the experts say, but my thinking was having a good sized overhang to keep water from the upper parts of the wall. 

The other side of that decision is there is more area for wind to get underneath and cause uplift, and the overhang requires longer lookouts to notch into the rafters to get the needed overhang.

Tradeoffs.

mt

rwanders

I have 48" at the eaves of a 12/12 pitch roof and 12" on the gable overhangs----located in southcentral Alaska. I wanted to ensure that snow coming off the roof would clear a walkway on the sides and prevent snow piling up against the cabin walls----also looks very cool! I lived in Valdez,Alaska for 9 years where the average annual snowfall is 330"----in 89 we got 560" (47 feet). Makes you appreciate wide eaves and steep metal roofs!  Actually, in high heat areas wide eaves are very effective indoor temperature moderators also. I believe Hawaii code actually requires at least 36" now.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

Quote from: rwanders on August 30, 2008, 10:35:38 PM
I have 48" at the eaves of a 12/12 pitch roof and 12" on the gable overhangs----located in southcentral Alaska. I wanted to ensure that snow coming off the roof would clear a walkway on the sides and prevent snow piling up against the cabin walls----also looks very cool! I lived in Valdez,Alaska for 9 years where the average annual snowfall is 330"----in 89 we got 560" (47 feet). Makes you appreciate wide eaves and steep metal roofs!  Actually, in high heat areas wide eaves are very effective indoor temperature moderators also. I believe Hawaii code actually requires at least 36" now.

Call me a wimp, but that is way too much snow for me.  At least 46' too much. d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Here's a photo of rwanders Alaskan cabin. I'm linking to the image location on snapfish and am not sure if this will work for long.

glenn kangiser

Looks like they are trying to send you a message, Don.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Interesting. I can still see it on this page whenever I load it. I gather that you Glenn and redoverfarm (he IM'd me) can not see the image.  I guess that means Snapfish's system is blocking the image linking except for those who might have signed into snapfish as a registered user, at least recently.

I'll post the image from a save to my photobucket oddsnends folder.

glenn kangiser

We are still getting a big red square, Don.

Redoverfarm

MountainDon

Okay. Snapfish has the images protected. They really want everyone to visit their site, register and all that. They have a "download this picture" link but they charge money!! I guess that's another reason I have never liked them. I'll do it the hard way...    Those are very red rectangles aren't they? I had to go to K's computer and login as a guest in order to see the red. I could've rebooted mine, that might have caused snapfish to forget my login on their site.

John Raabe

I think that's what they call a "protective roof". With that kind of snow you need all the protection you can get. ;)

None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

What I haven't figured out is how you live, move, drive and work under 47 feet of snow. hmm

Redoverfarm

Sort of puts the "home school" in perspective. 

glenn kangiser

I forgot to list, breathe. 

I just couldn't live like that. d*