Our Victoria's Cottage Plans

Started by melwynnd, April 08, 2005, 04:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melwynnd

John,

We've just finished the plans changes we are making on your Victoria's Cottage Plans.  We are beginning the excavating next month.  Would you like to see them?

Sherry
Sherry

Good things come in small packages!!

John Raabe

Yes, you can post photos or images here in this thread, or you can send them to me and I can post them for you.

Everyone loves to see the projects of others!

PS - there is a quick tutorial on posting photos here: http://countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1099677798
None of us are as smart as all of us.

melwynnd

I've posted pictures of both the origional Victoria's Cottage plans and ours.

http://www.sherrysapothecary.com/Building.html

You'll notice we've taken a lot of corners out.  We've decided to pour the slab ourselves and the fewer corners we have to get square...the better ;D!

I've also added a big pantry(for all the food I can) and set up a "wet wall" so we have all the water and drains in the same place.  Let me know what you think.

Sherry
Sherry

melwynnd

Oh, I meant to mention we aren't moving any of the roof peaks, it will sort of be like two connected saltboxes.  We are also going to add two feet to the walls and have a full loft upstairs and a half loft over the basement.

Sherry
Sherry

melwynnd

Sherry

John Raabe

I like your plan Sherry. You have more of a full length saltbox layout and it gives you much more space in the bath and kitchen.

Be sure you have these mods reviewed with a local engineer or designer. It looks to me like you will have a long span beam running from the post in the kitchen to the front wall - this might get pretty big and you may want another post in there to help.

Good luck on it. I think you may be onto something here.

melwynnd

John,

We are planning to put another post halfway between the existing post and the wall.  We will then put up lattice to give the dining area a bit of separation from the living area.

Besides I should actually have enough light there to grow some plants and I plan to train tomatoes up the lattice.  I found out that you can propagate(indeterminate) tomatoes by rooting cuttings just like you would a houseplant.  

My favorite tomato is a hybrid, so I'm going to try rooting them in the fall, growing a few plants all winter and then dividing those up and rooting them for starters in the spring.

Sherry
Sherry

John Raabe