Confusion with plans - help?

Started by TisaWee Farm, August 11, 2007, 08:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TisaWee Farm

Gosh....I'm never going to get this straight in my head!   I should have bought just one set of plans so I wouldn't be so confused! :)

In the loose pages, it shows a pier configuration of 4x8 beams, 4' OC with a 9'8" span in the middle.  Using 2X6 floor joists.   (I know...this is the "lighter duty" house)

In the "deep pier" instructions in the "Read me First" booklet, it shows a configuration of 6X12 beam, 8' OC with a 14' span in the middle.  Using 2X10 floor joists.

I'm marking piers TODAY and had thought somehow that I needed 7 piers per side (28 foot), so in my plan, I drew them up at 4-1/2' OC (with 2 at 5' OC).   Still with a 14' span.   I'm using 6X12 beams.   Is that too close together?   Can I get by with them farther apart?  Say 6-7'???

I'm making the sidewalls 12' and the deck needs to support a nearly-full second floor loft.   So does that mean they should be CLOSER together, or does the size of the floor joist make more difference than the spacing of the piers?    What size floor joists?  (I had assumed 2X10?)

Oh...the confusion..... :(

By the way, thanks so much for all your help!   This is amazing!

youngins

My problem is I over think things.  

Fortunately the "Brain Trust" is very patient.
"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."

TisaWee Farm

QuoteMy problem is I over think things.  

Fortunately the "Brain Trust" is very patient.

Heheheeh. I don't think it is POSSIBLE to over think!   You should see the "plan" I spent two hours on yesterday!  It is only the drawing for my piers and a built-up 6X12 beam!  

I have written down the dimension of every piece of wood in the beam, in which position they will be, the total number and sizes of boards needed (and cost estimates), and how to cut the plywood to get the best use of the wood.  No 2X splice is within 4' of another, and no plywood splice is within 2' of any other splice.  Took a bit of work to figure it out, but it is the most economical use of 2x.  

But I spent two dad-gum hours doing it!!!!!     I'm not a BIT obsessive/compulsive...nah...

TisaWee Farm

Still waiting for a definitive answer about spacing......  :-/

John Raabe

OK, first it helps to tell me your real name and what plans you have. I was able to find it by the town you used when you registered on the forum. It looks like I'm talking to Christine and that you have the Enchilada plans. Is that correct?

That set has the Little House plans (11x17 size) and the Builders Cottage (18x24). The latter plan is designed for a crawlspace with a concrete perimeter foundation. In the Bonus booklet is an option - the Deep Pier foundation.

You will want to use the Enchilada plans with the Deep Pier foundation option not the lighter weight Little House foundation which is for a one story cottage. You do not need to change the floor joists but you do need to get the piers right so that you are not overloading the foundation beams.

Am I correct that you are extending the floorplan to 28' (four feet longer than the plan in the booklet)? If so, here's how to think this through.

You do not want to load the beams and piers any more than they are in the standard plan. The max span there (for the beam specified) is 3 spans of 8' (four piers). If you want to have a 28' length do 4 spans of 7' (five piers). Use the same beam and floor joists. Your loading will then be slightly less than the standard plan design.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

TisaWee Farm

Sorry John,  Didn't realize I was incognito on here!  8-)
Yep, I'm Chris Cooperrider from Findlay, Ohio, and I bought the whole enchilada.

I keep changing my mind.  I think I've decided on going 32 foot now (instead of 28, which was instead of 24).   So does that mean I can get by with:
2 - 32 foot 6X12 laminated beams
on piers that are approximately 6-1/2 foot apart (6 piers per row, 5 spans) for 2 rows?  I'm putting them 4' deep and extending 16-18" above ground.

If I use the same size floor joists as in the plan (I don't have it here at work, so don't remember the sizes), will this pier spacing and 6X12 beams support the 2X6X12 walls with a full loft?  

I'm sorry that I keep asking questions!  I'm sort of like the poster that just said he's afraid of doing the first nail.  I'm scared to death that I'll have something major wrong with the foundation and it will be a waste of time and money.  And I'll be living in a barn or camper until I can get this built, so I need to make sure I'm right!

Thanks again,
Chris Cooperrider in Ohio --- AKA TisaWee Farm

John Raabe

Chris:

Yes, as long as you do not exceed the span of the Enchilada beams as shown in the plans you can extend the length and keep dropping down piers as long as you want.

Hint: The taller the walls you have and the more weight you put in the loft, the closer together the piers should be since the loading on the beam goes up. The foundation plan in the bonus section is designed for a standard loft - so you might cut the span down by a foot or so for the potentially heavier loft load. Don't worry, nothing's going to break if you don't  ;)
None of us are as smart as all of us.