Hip roof on Little House

Started by youngins, June 30, 2007, 12:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngins

The load transfer discussion in the general forum got me thinking about my plans to do a hip roof on the playhouse.

My assumption is John's plans are setup where the load of the roof is transferred primarily through the two side walls. In John's little house example, IIRC, there was no need to put full headers for the windows on the sides which were not carrying load.

In a hip roof scenario, am I to assume that full headers would be needed for any opening in all 4 walls?  

Are there any other considerations to keep in mind for a hip roof scenario?
"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."

John Raabe

That's true, in a hip roof the formerly gable end wall is now carrying a roof load. Standard headers may be overkill but it may be easier to do them anyway rather than calculate each one.

Check out a good framing manual as hip roofs are more complex to build than the simple gable of the Little House. See Wagner, "House Framing" p. 144 - it has a good tutorial.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

PEG688

Little place like that dbl 2x6 with 1/2" ply / OSB between if your using 2x4 walls would be plenty big enought. But yes heads would be required / good idea as every etrerior wall would be bearing on a hip roof.

Heck dbl 2x4 would MTL be good enought to span 4' on a play house in Texas , in NE , uper mid west with snow you'd be better off with the dbl 2x6 for the same little 12' x 12' play house / garden / tool shed.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .