Support for 6 x 12 beam in VC plans

Started by MikeT, July 16, 2007, 02:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

This weekend we set the 6 x 12 beam in the area over the kitchen and the dining area in the VC plans.  As called for in the plans we have a 6x6 post placed mid-span.  But it looks like on the ends, the plans do not call for posts, per se.  What I did was to place two, 2x6s underneath the beam at each end (trimmers) and then had a king stud on each side.  The beam is held in place via the nails that are face nailed through the back of the kind studs and then via the trimmer studs below.  

Did we do this correctly?  

Thanks,
mt

PEG688

Sounds pretty good to me . Photo's of the details would help. Are you planning on placing your oven as shown on the plan a down draft hood would be a nice feature that beam and wall framing will be a , AHHHHHHHHH, challenge to get around.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MikeT

Here is a picture that basically shows progress to date.  We have not placed the post mid span as yet.  You will note that the area above the beam has not been framed as yet and that the top plate that is there sits below the top plates on either side of them.  This will section will actually have a triple top plate when all is said and done.  Anyway, here you see the beam and the support methods on the ends that we have used.

We still have an exterior wall to erect, but that will be built in place as a balloon frame with 6x6 posts supporting the ridge beam and the sides of the windows--all because we opted for the open area above as opposed to the loft.  But that is another topic.....

PEG688

Nice view  8-) Where are you building?
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MikeT

This is in Neskowin, Oregon.  It is about 90 miles SW of Portland.  Just north of Lincoln City and south of Tillamook.

John Raabe

Yes, that is correct. You are building up solid bearing with a "stud built" post. As an alternative, you can expose more of the framing (ala timber framing style) and use a solid 6x6 post backed by a 2x6 on the outside face. This leaves about an inch of reveal on the interior side for the post to stand proud of the drywall.

The white line above would be the line of the drywall in a flat wall (this is an interior corner of a bay window). You can even do this with a finish 2x6 on the interior that reads as a buried 6x6 post.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MikeT

Thanks to both PEG and John for your prompt and helpful responses.  While I have you on the line....

I am going with the partial loft option.  That means the loft will terminate where the beam ends.  But the way I have designed by window and door layout, I think I need to make a modification on the opposite side of the beam we are talking about.  If you look at the picture and go across the room from where the beam terminates, you will see a door opening.  It is currently framed by a header that I built out of a 4x6 and a 2x6.  I think that given I will have a load bearing loft and that a beam will need to be attached on the header above that door, I think I need to change headers and go with either two, 2x12s or a 6x12 header.  What say you?

mt

John Raabe

If you are carrying a beam with loft loads and it is terminating on a hanger bearing on a header you would be advised to have the load traced and the header, trimmers, etc. sized locally. That is not something I would be comfortable doing by "rule of thumb". This is especially true if the header is over 3' wide. The loads and areas need to be calculated and the bearing worked out by engineering calculations. You may need a glulam and extra trimmers.
None of us are as smart as all of us.