1-1/2 Story, 12' walls, loft question

Started by Madroaster, June 10, 2007, 09:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madroaster

Hi,

I'm wondering about the loft recommendations for adjusting the framing to 12' from 10' on the 1-1/2 story plans.  John earlier recommended extending the loft throughout the entire second level for structural reasons.  We're hoping to have an L-shaped loft (running the length of the cabin) with an open area approximately 18'6"x8', but extending the joists through to the sidewall.  In other words, having full-loft joists, but with a portion open (without any flooring).  

Does anyone see any reason why we couldn't do this?

Thanks,
--Derek  

glenn-k

I'm not official but it should work fine.  Safety railings would be a consideration but shouldn't create any problems.  Headroom may be a consideration also.

Madroaster

Here's an extremely quick sketch of the headroom problem I see.  Structurally, I'm not sure what my options are here.

glenn-k

We have talked about a dormer in situations like that to give the required headroom and let light into the upstairs area.

Madroaster

Dormers are certainly an option; I had been considering gable-height windows and skylights to provide enough light up there.  I'm mostly concerned about the joists as they cross the stairs--headroom will be an issue there.  Is it acceptable to have the offending joists (perhaps 3 or 4 terminate before the stairs, or must they all extend to the wall?

glenn-k

I think it is doable, although John can probably tell you how best to do it.  He should drop in soon.

jraabe

Yes, you could do the layout you have sketched. You will need to frame an opening at the stair in order to provide a minimum of 6' - 8" above the stair treads as you walk down the stair. This is usually done by using double or triple joists and heading off the stair opening.

You will have the main supporting joists running the other way from this diagram, but you can see the basic framing.

Notice the support post at the corner of the landing which helps support the header joists in your diagram.

Madroaster

Thanks guys...that's what I'd expected.  

John, I'd actually already drawn up the joists the way you've mentioned (more or less) as I worked things out.  It's good to know I'm on the right track.

--Derek