Trusses on 1 1/2 story 20' cottage

Started by Dano, June 19, 2007, 11:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano

I purchased a set of plans for the  1 1/2 story 20' cottage and have a question regarding the trusses. On page 4 of the plans there are diagrams for 2 different trusses. The one with the higher joist (pictured below the "typical site built truss") looks to go above the loft but I am not sure. Also, the diagram of the "typical site built truss" looks like it would go over the main area of the house. Would the "typical site built truss" still need joists going across from top plate to top plate?
Sorry for what is probably a stupid question but I could use some help here.......Thanks

John Raabe

The Typical Detail (@ 1/2" scale) shows the basics of the truss configuration sitting on the balloon framed walls. The placement of the attic joist or cross tie is not specified there. In the 1/4" scale Truss details diagram below, that cross-tie member is located to give 7'-6" of headroom above the loft of a building using the 10' high studs shown on the Cross Section (Sht. 2). [Note: if you use 12' sidewall studs this tie could be adjusted lower and still provide plenty of headroom.]

Whatever truss you use could be extended over the open area of the living area below, or you could use the full cathedral detail (see your booklet, p. 9) where rafter ties are placed 48" o/c at the tops of the walls to tie the rafters together.
None of us are as smart as all of us.