VC Bedroom loft option

Started by MikeT, June 12, 2007, 11:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

With the bedroom in the VC, I am contemplating whether to go with the bedroom loft option or not.  If I do this, is there anything special I need to know about or consider?  I am not doing the full loft on the main part of the house, and I think a small loft might add something interesting to the design--kind of like in the original VC.

mt

jraabe

If I understand, you are considering a loft for the 14' wide main floor bedroom. In the initial design (for the client Victoria) I had a 6' deep loft over the outside end of the bedroom with the sliding door and window in the open ceiling area. She choose to eliminate the loft but I think it might provide an interesting contrast to the room.

That 6' x 11' loft could be carried by two 4x8 beams at 3' o/c with 2x6 T&G decking above.

MikeT

Thanks for the feedback and the specs, John.  I think I will go with this and have try a skylight or two above.  In my plans, I have three windows- a 3050 at the end of one wall, a 6040 on the gable end, and then a 6068 SGD on the other wall that leads out to a deck.  The loft will add some interesting elements to this room, I think.

mt