"Uneven" wood for built up beams

Started by youngins, May 18, 2007, 09:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngins

Not surprised by the fact that the PT 2x6 beams used for building the built up beams are not cut straight, but it does bring up an interesting problem...

I will either need to take a plane to either the top of the "higher" PT 2x6 or the bottom of the floor joist where it sits on the "higher" PT 2x6 - the net being a floor joist which sits evenly on the beam as a whole.

The question is, which is safer to us the plane on - the beam or the floor joist?
"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."

glenn kangiser

How about just shimming the spaces where there are gaps.  I assume you want your floor joists level.

Shims are available very cheap at the lumber yard.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Also - run a string across the top to check for evenness.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I like the idea of adding shim material rather than removing material
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

#1: beams are not cut straight,

#2: I will either need to take a plane to either the top of the "higher" PT 2x6 or the bottom of the floor joist where it sits on the "higher" PT 2x6 - the net being a floor joist which sits evenly on the beam as a whole.

3: The question is, which is safer to us the plane on - the beam or the floor joist?

#1: You MTL are talking about crown , they all where cut straight , but some crown , twist , split , warp etc , some worst than others , as they dry.

#2: So it sounds like you've nailed the 2x6 together for beams and one , or more you didn't ot couldn't line up.

Generally if you start nailing form one end and "work the board " as you nail it together you can straighten/ fair together a built up beam.

You do this  by angle nailing , clamping / forcing the wood to see it your way ;)

#3: If you where unable / unaware that you could do #2, and your beams are built up,  at this point I'd power plane the misaligned one's / one down flush with the rest. Just make sure you pull any nails that you may have put into the built up beam, your talking what about 1/4" to 3/8" of misalignment??

G/L PEG  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

youngins

PEG,

Here is a shot of the end of one beam.  At one end, the inside rail is "lower" than the outside rail.

Here is a shot of another beam. This time the outside rail is "lower" than the inside rail at one end.

Frustrating and pondering how to make the floor joists all even.

glenn kangiser

I'd still just get the wooden shims (tapered strips like shingles - come in plastic or wood) - a whole bundle is a few bucks.  Put the joists across and jamb a shim in the gap where it doesn't contact.

Shim under the beam where it sits on the pier too if necessary.

That's what I'd do.  PEG would probably do it some professional way.

You might want to throw the joists across and put a string over the top of them - that will give you more to worry about.

youngins

Hhmmm - I have been lurking the strong-tie web site and found the following connector:

I wonder if this would be good to put on the beam. Then, adjust how the joist sits in the saddle so that in the end, they are all even with each other.

Thoughts?

MountainDon

Do you have a power planer Chris? If not here's your chance to "need" one.   ;D  They are very handy.   ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I think you like giving money to Simpson. :)

I'd do it the cheapest way I could and still be sound --- I'm a tightwad. :o

glenn kangiser

One more thought, Chris --- you are going to kill this thing thinking about it. :-? :)

Get the beams reasonably close.  You could just plane or wood chisel the areas where the joists cross.

Throw the joists on it loose but close- get the rim joists tacked on and get a look at the whole picture.  You are getting fixated on the details.

Quote"Work from the general to the specific"
John Raabe.

After the joists are up there with the rim joists tacked on take a look under the floor joists - run a string across the top - - run a 4' level on it - see how things sit in general.  Pull a tape from corner to corner.  Take a diagonal measurement to all four corners then bang it around until the whole thing comes to square - both diagonal measurements will be equal - then anchor the floor joists to your clips - shim under the problem areas- now you are working on the specifics -- you fix the small stuff.

Most of all - have fun learning. :)

PEG688

QuotePEG,

So you only have nails , or screws at the post brackets ??  

If so you should slip in more pylwood spacers about every 18" and nail the 2x's together, start at both ends and work to the center.  you may need to use  a clamp , like a two foot pipe clamp to force the two into alignment then nail them together once lined up.

I wouldn't waste more on those clips ,  I'd strongly recomend  using some H1's at least on every other joist though , that lil building in a big wind could lift up , toenails might work galvies but I'd put on a few H1's if you get any winds , not sure where your located so YMMV on that.  

PEG688

You are getting fixated on the details.

Quote"Work from the general to the specific"
John Raabe.

After the joists are up there with the rim joists tacked on take a look under the floor joists - run a string across the top - - run a 4' level on it - see how things sit in general.  Pull a tape from corner to corner.  Take a diagonal measurement to all four corners then bang it around until the whole thing comes to square - both diagonal measurements will be equal - then anchor the floor joists to your clips - shim under the problem areas- now you are working on the specifics -- you fix the small stuff.

Most of all - have fun learning. :)

Christ is in the details Glenn , maybe thats why you can't find him  ;D Opps never mind :-[

Glenn's some what right , you may be over thinking things , and you maybe be under asking on somethings like those pre-poured pier pads  that was a un-needed lesson in the joys of building I bet ;D

But back to the beams , more nails laddy ;)

glenn kangiser

Yeah -- got it PEG  :)

I was kind of going from my own experience here --- sometimes if I think too long about something I don't get anything done, so I just grab a hammer and chainsaw and start banging away then stop and fix the damage afterward. :-/

Also - many times if you don't know, it is hard to know what to ask. :-?

PEG688

Also - many times if you don't know, it is hard to know what to ask. :-?

Ya it is , tough job we have here, it's wonder anything gets done  :-/