Newbie with a question

Started by Sasquatch, April 27, 2007, 12:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

Greetings,

This forum is a great resource! I've been lurking here for awhile, and now find the need to ask many questions.  :)

I currently have a 24' x 30' cinderblock 1.5 story that barely serves as a home for my family.  The only thing worth saving are the cinderblock walls!  I am planning to add a garage, possibly lengthen the home by 10', and build a complete stick-frame 2nd story on top of the cinderblock.  I was wondering if the 20'x34 universal plans could be easliy modified to use in conjunction with my 24' wide block walls.

Any takers?

Thanks!

-Sasquatch

glenn-k

Welcome, Sasquatch.

You would probably need some reinforcing in the walls if it doesn't have it.

Widening out the plan changes the foundation requirement and beam spacing.

I'm not sure what would be best .  John has the 24 wide Salt Box design but you may need help of a local professional on this anyway.

I will move this to plans support and maybe John can make a recommendation for you.

jraabe

The 20' wide Universal cottage would have some construction details that you could use in your project but many of the drawings(plans, elevations, and some details) would need to be redone.

Your best bet may be to get together with a builder who would help you plan this project. He may have some construction suggestions and perhaps have a designer who can draw up any plans that are necessary. Then, if appropriate, you could order the Universal plans and save drafting time by pasting in some of my details and floor plan elements.

Sasquatch

Thanks, guys!  Kind of the answers I was expecting, but it was worth a shot.  :)

glenn-k

No problem - looking forward to hearing about more of your project.