Victoria's Cottage- ideal water heater location

Started by MikeT, April 02, 2007, 02:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

With my VC design (full basement underneath because of hillside location), I am trying to figure out the best location for a water heater.  I originally thought about putting it in the basement, next to the washer/dryer.  But now I am thinking that since my water line is coming from the hillside above, I should try and keep the water heater on the main level and thus have gravity working for me.  If I did this, would it make sense to put the water heater in the entry porch build out?  Or am I overthinking this and it really does not matter?

Thanks,
mt

glenn kangiser

Water seeks its own level, Mike so if enclosed it will try to get back up the hill if it can.  That makes it better for you because it will go right through that basement water heater and try to go right back up into the house.  

Biggest consideration that may help you is to centrally locate it between the most hot water outlets if possible so there won't be a long wait time for the hot to get there.  Even that won't kill you. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MikeT

In that case, it might be best to have the water heater in the basement, right next to the washer/dryer which is on one side of a wet wall with the bathroom on the other.  Then above the basement bathroom is the main floor bath.  From there it is all of 16 feet to the kitchen sink.  

Thanks.  If I go that way, then the entry space is preserved as a storage/closet area.

mt

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Or consider a tankless water heater. It could go in the basement and vent outside... or mount on the exterior wall.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeT

I looked at tankless, but then I decided to try the Marathon brand heaters.  I'll keep you posted throughout the process.

MountainDon

I had to go look as I wasn't familiar with Marathon. That's not your average water heater that's for certain. Their home owner warranty is unbeatable. Any figures on estimated power use? And how much for a unit?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.