Rim joist material

Started by BigMish, March 17, 2007, 04:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMish

I am having trouble finding the two alternative materials described to use for the rim joist (Timberstrand LSL or plywood w/ blocking panels). I checked HD and Loews. Can I just use regular 2x12s?

Thanks, M

peg_688

You can IF you buy the next size up 2 x then rip it down.

TJI's / BCI's etc are made in odd dementions , like 9 1/2" when a 2x10 is generally 9 1/4" >:( , or the ever popular 11 7/8" I joist when 2 x12's ::)  measure , ussually , 11 1/4". ::)

The real question is why??  :-/ :-/

Which isn't really hard to answer , they want to sell LSL to go with thier " I"  joist, ::) but there is no good reason you can not use 2 by's  other than the height issue.  Thats what we used to do before they made LSL.  

BigMish

Why would I have to rip it down? Don't I want the floor joists and the sill joists the same width (i.e. same height once placed on the sill)? I'm using 2x12s for the floor joists so couldn't I just use un-ripped 2x12s for the sill joists?

Thanks, Mischa

peg_688

I missed that part where you said 2x12's  sorry , I was giving a genric answer to your question ,  so yes you'd have to build up the  2by to flush up with the TJI , they must be 11 7/8"  ?? The ones we get here in Washington measure 11 7/8" , so some  5/8 ply nail to the top of a 2x12 should flush it up.

If you pick them out , the 2 x12's , pick straight , or the straightest / less crowned ones. Out of the bunch your picking from. It makes it easier.

One of my grumbles of late is the LSL we've been getting have all had 3 16" crown's to them  >:( The , well one of , selling points to LSL is that it is straight, which ain't really true any more . Must have something to do with profit share , market saturation, demand .  >:( ::)