1 1/2 sory plan 20' cottage plan: foundation

Started by BigMish, March 16, 2007, 09:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMish

I'm a bit confused with the dimensions of the foundation on the crawl space foundation. On the foundation plan it specifies the wall to be "6" concrete wall on min. 7x15 footing..." but on the foundation section the width of the wall appears as 9". Am I missing something or is there a contradiction here? Which is correct?

Thanks, Mischa

jraabe

That's a 7 on the foundation footing height. The typical footing for that house is 7x15. In some places they will build a footing 8x16 as standard.

BigMish

Sorry, I wasn't clear: I meant what is the width of the foundation wall?

jraabe

Thanks, I see what you mean. It should be consistent at 8" on the foundation plan. Most localities will want an 8' thick foundation wall for a house with a loft (6" for one-story house).

Thanks for catching that, I will update the masters.

John

BigMish

That would than make three widths stated for the wall:
6" from the foundation plan
9" from the foundation section
8" from you email. If it is 8" than the footing would only be 14" (3"+8"+3") which would than be inconsistent in another way with the foundation plan which states the footing is "Min. 7x15" and the foundation section which similarly has the width as 15".

.M

jraabe

I think your getting yourself confused here.

Change the upper right note on "Crawlspace Foundation Plan", sht. 3 from 6" to 8" (This is the new correction.)

On the Foundation Section to the right (same page). The dimensions at the bottom of the footing are for the rebar placement not the wall thickness. That is called out in the note with the arrow to the wall, "2x6 PT sill..." there it says 8" wall with 7x15 Footer.

There are three bars in the wall. One at the top and two in the footer. (A #4 bar is 4/8" in diameter, or 1/2".)

Hope this helps.

BigMish

Yes, I was confused; I didn't realize that was rebar placement and not the footer and wall dimensions. I think I'm totally clear now and I've corrected the foundation plan as you advised. Thanks, John, for your quick attention in this matter.

.M