New house on boards - 30x34 1-1/2 story

Started by jraabe, February 25, 2007, 09:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jraabe

I have a new project I'm working on. Here is the floor plan

and cross section

For more information on the full schematic open up the PDF file.

I am working up the floor plans in Better Homes and Gardens Home Designer Suite 6, which is the follow-up program to 3D Home Architect ver. 3. It is pretty good and this newer more powerful program opens all the old 3DHA files as well as writing files that can be opened in most full CAD programs if you are working with a local designer or engineer.

If you are planning to design your own layout or modify one of my plans or template files I think the Home Designer Suite 6 would be a good inexpensive choice. It is also easier to find than the old 3DHA disk.

The template files for this house will be available on the PlanHelp.com site when the paper plans are completed. I don't have a specific timeline for the final structural plans and blueprints, but expect them to be done this Spring.

glenn-k

Will this house be expandable in length for those who think they need a bigger house?  Seems we see a few of them.   Looks great, John.

jraabe

Yep, the structure runs the 30' width and the joists land on a centerline beam. So the 34' length can easily be extended.

Looks like it will also have a roof over the back deck. It will first be built in Sitka, Alaska.

glenn-k

Great design.  Porches, decks etc. --- are they flexible / optional for different design desires?

jraabe

Yes, I think I might lower the pitch on the porch roofs and get the post spacings to work out right and then you could have any combination on either side of the house:
• open deck
• roofed porch
• screened porch
• closed sunroom with roof skylights

That lets the house adjust to a lot of different heating and cooling climates.

glenn-k

Maybe I'm looking wrong but it seems that the plan has only 8' sidewalls with a full attic and dormers - is this still consider 1 1/2 story?  

If the above is correct would higher sidewalls offer more versatility in the porch or add on designs?  Obviously I don't know much about project design - just curious.

jraabe

In a wider design such as this the walls are at standard 8' with the upper floor on top and the roof rafters and floor joists nailed together at the wall plate. In the upper floor plan the dotted lines where I show closets is where the roof rafters attain 6' above the upper floor deck. Everything inside this is "under the roof" 2nd floor space. Only the bathroom has a dormer that pops the roof above this plane.

However, you are probably right, this is perhaps better called a bungalow (where the upper floor is under the roof) than a 1 - 1/2 story such as the 20' wide.

glenn-k

Thanks. John.  Great place for a steel guy to learn a bit more about above ground houses. :)

youngins

southernsis

This is really a nice design. Can't wait for the plans. This would give me the space that I need. Bought the 20 x 30 1 1/2 story, but may wait to build and get this plan.

jraabe

In the upper floor of the PDF file you will note the dotted lines in the bedroom and loft at 4' - these are tie beams and the ceilings on both sides of the bath/stairway are cathedral. Only the bath/stair area has the dormer and flat ceiling and in the upper bedroom that provides a 2' wide flat ceiling area for down lights over the bed before the ceiling opens up to the peak. There will be windows into this area too. (Not certain yet of shapes and sizes - have to wait for the elevations.)

Some folks will likely choose to do decking between these tie beams for an upper floor loft.

Jackson_Landers

It needs a coat closet.  The first thing that I do when I look at a house plan is find the front door and visualize myself walking in.  I can't even tell you how many plans I have immediately dismissed on account of noticing there's no place to hang coats. That and floorplans that effectively turn the middle of the living room into the main hallway are probably my 2 biggest pet peeves when looking at house plans. I like that this has traffic moving along the inside wall such that the living room can still be an actual living room.

This is an interesting departure from your past work that I've seen. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

youngins

Wife loves the plan - would love it even more with a Jack and Jill bath downstairs.

Also, dual sinks and jacuzzi tub in master...

glenn-k

QuoteOnly the bath/stair area has the dormer and flat ceiling and in the upper bedroom that provides a 2' wide flat ceiling area for down lights over the bed before the ceiling opens up to the peak.

Is there an option for mirrors in place of lights?

Nevermind. :-/

jraabe

Jackson:

Your suggestions are good. In some ways the house might work better with a West entry (assuming the sunroom faces South, as it will). Reduces the traffic going through the living room and sets up a location for a coat closet.

John

Also, a stacked washer/dryer could give room for a closet in the hall.

Amanda_931

The smaller the house the harder it is to find a space for coats--I may have to have a coat rack on the porch--which will mean a really cold coat going on and chilling me.

A lot of people don't mind it, but I'd just as soon not have people looking at my kitchen--dishes in sink, stuff for dinner still out--when they walk in.  

GreenPointGuy

Greetings - I recently purchased the 20' x 1 1/2 story plans (thx much John for the super-prompt shipping!) and am planning to add a sunroom and full basement with 12' sides on the first floor. I am just now starting the plan modification process in preparation to submit. Then yesterday I came across this posting of the 'in the works' 30 x 34 1 1/2 story. It may be a taad larger than my needs but I would like to consider this as an option since the sunroom is already integral in the plan. Is there an expected due date for plan availability and CAD database?
Cheerios ---> Jim

John Raabe

Jim:

Sorry, that project has pretty much dropped out of sight. This was a semi-custom design (a reduced client fee for use as a stock plan). The owner had other obligations come up so it is on hold as a stock plan.
None of us are as smart as all of us.