2x6 Walls on Little House

Started by rdpecken, February 13, 2007, 07:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdpecken

Hello All,
Well, we're (the wife & I) finally building our floor this weekend.  We're using the Little House/Enchilada plans to build a 14x24 on piers and beams.  The piers and beams are in place.

We would like to build with 2x6 walls when we get to that point.  Do we need to worry about the extra weight of the 2x6 walls over the 2x4 walls?  The plans call for 2x6x14' floor joists cantalevered 2' over the beams.  We're planning on using the 10' high walls to provide more headroom in the loft.

Just wondering if we should upgrade the floor joists to support the extra weight.
Thanks for any replies...
Randy & Tara

John_M

My thoughts would be that the 2x6 probably does not add a whole lot of extra weight, but adding the extra length for the 10' walls would probably make some changes neccessary.

The cost for a 2x8x14 is proably not much more than a 2x6x14, so it would make sense to do it.  You would get more room for insulation for the floors as well.  Might make for a more solid feeling floor.

John or Glenn may have a more "technical" response.

peg_688

I'd say no problems , unless your doing a alternative insulation technic involving the use of GOLD bars in the stud bays for insulation ;D ;D

builderboy

I believe that gold has a poor R value per $, but there's a certain amount of prestige in it's use as insulation!  ;D

jraabe

Randy and Tara:

While there is very little extra weight due just to the switch from 2x4 to 2x6 I think I would do as John_M suggests - upgrading to 2x8 joists. I support this for two reasons.
• I expect part of the reason you are going to 2x6 walls is for the better insulation. A 2x8 floor will give you more room for floor insulation.
• Going to the higher stud wall for more headroom in the loft also means more use in and weight from the loft. The 2x8 joists will give you any extra stiffness that might be needed for this extra load.

rdpecken

Thanks for all the replies. No, I'm not stuffing the walls with gold, although the price of insulation seems to approach that.  Given all of your responses, we've decided to go with 2x8.  It's a little more expensive than we had hoped though, because the 2x8's only come in 16 foot lengths, rather than 14 foot.

Oh, and when we picked them up last night, we got home and discovered that they were 2x10s! :o I was wondering why the bill was a hundred dollars more that I calculated.  So back to the big box store again tonight for an exchange.

Thanks again, I really appreciate this board, and the great info I get here.
Randy

builderboy

I've bought 14 ft 2x8's. Maybe you should check around a bit. I find the big box guys (Home Depot etc) don't always have everything in stock.

peg_688

Keep the 2x10's your be able to get a R-30 in those joist bays  :)  Floor insulation , IMO, gives  a "Better comfort factor "IE warm feet  8-)

You'll use the fall off off those joist's for either blocking over the beams , or also for blocking for towel bars , T/P despencer, hand rail brackets etc.

Also if your buying at a big box (there lumber is  absolute crap around here , well ever big box I've been in in Wa. , Ca. & Az. has crappy  framing lumber :(  ) so the extra lenght will be nice to cut off the split ends .

And yes it will cost a bit more for both the 2x10's and the R-30 insluation but thats a small percentage of the  overall costs.

G/L PEG

rdpecken

Thanks again for all the input... We ended up sticking with the 2x10's. The floor went up with no problems, and it looks great.
Now on to the walls!
Thanks...Randy P.

youngins

Just saw an update on their web site: http://www.arizonaranch.org

peg_688

Sure looks like a floor system :) Glad to see the dish got put in early ;D So will someone  be dancing on that floor soon ?? Like some others have  ;) Who was that ?? pioneer gal?? There's been a few dancing photo's .

G/L don't pick a waltz.

PEG

jraabe

How about that!

We talk and people actually build! Amazing  :D

Maybe it's a good thing that Glenn doesn't tell us everything he is doing!  ;)

glenn-k

Is there anything I didn't tell?   ::)

Actually I have been slacking a bit lately but will bring you up to speed soon. :)

Foundation/ floor joist/beams look great.

rdpecken

Thanks to all for the good comments.
Yes, building is important, but so is football. Therefore, the dish was the first thing to be installed  ::)
There may have been some dancing, but not by us... we were much too sore to do much moving around.
So anyway, I don't want to turn this into a full blown progress thread, but I do have a couple more photos of work accomplished this weekend.

So we do listen to all of you and take encouragment from those who have gone before us.
Thanks again... Randy

MountainDon

I bet you're feeling really good right about now. It's really starting to look like something, a real cabin! I'm following on your website too.