wind bracing

Started by reverendxlt, January 29, 2007, 01:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reverendxlt

Hi,

just had a question regarding wind bracing for 1st floor walls on the 20x30 1.5 story.

one corner in particular has a window very close to the corner, not allowing for the normal angle that wind bracing would require. is it better to have it at an extremely acute angle, or none at all?

Thanks,

reverendxlt

Amanda_931

I understand that the idea is not "how close to the corner" but "have you got decent bracing somewhere in the first eight feet" from the corner.  

but somebody who knows this will probably come along with chapter and verse.

PEG688

Rev I don't have those plans , the V/C plans I have do not show wind bracing.

#1:  Are you thinking of letting in a 1x or 2x corner brace??

#2: What type of sheathing are you using??

#3: Are you getting a permit??

#4: If so are you in a earthquake , high wind , twister area??

#5: If your using plywood / OSB for sheathing and [highlight]IF you don't have to meet code[/highlight] for a Brace Wall Panel, BWP, you should be OK, if you have a window in the corner , now not a whole wall of windows mind ya .  But one window say up to 5' wide then some solid sheets of plwood/ OSB , at least one , before the next window.  That sheathing will give you the shear strenght your looking for.

GENERALLY! There are exceptions.  

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

reverendxlt

thanks PEG, no, I don't have any codes to meet

just wanted to check with someone more knowledgeable. I am using plywood sheathing, so I guess am probably o.k.

appreciate the help

PEG688

I'd suspect you'll be fine , just nail off the sheathing well, 8" to 10"OC in the field , 6" or less on the edges. With 8d nails.

What type of Rev. are you?? Other than Extra Large Tall?? XLT :-/ :-?   Not that it matters one way or the other :-[  

G/L, PEG

reverendxlt

I am a pastor in South Central Texas...I am between churches at the moment. I have been filling in as pulpit supply for a while and seeking my next position.

my ordination is with the Evangelical Free Church of America. I graduated from Dallas Theological Seminary.

I am also 6'7" and about 280 lbs...hence the eXtra Large, Tall...

I really appreciate the help and advice...

http://newbraunfelsbible.org/sermons/012807%20-%20Promise%20and%20Priority.mp3

PEG688

Check your personal messages , top of the forum page it should say , "Hey,reverendxlt, you have 1 message. "  Click on it and it will open your PM box.

John Raabe

The general rule for prescriptive bracing is to have a 4' wide panel of plywood or OSB sheathing in the the first 8' from each corner. Nail these "braced wall panels" with 8d nails at 4" o/c at the edges and 8" o/c in the field. This (or less, such as standard 1x4 let-in braces) is all that is needed for most locations. See http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=0003;action=display;num=1132073567 for an idea of comparative bracing.

When you cover the whole exterior with structural sheathing (as shown in my plans) that is icing on the cake and adds yet more stiffening to the building.

If you can not get a full 4' at each corner you can get much the same bracing out of a 32" wide panel with a tie down to the foundation at each end. For walls over 10' tall and 2nd story walls it gets more complex.

If you are in a tornado, hurricane or earthquake area check with the building department as they will have guidelines about this and other connections you will want to beef up.
None of us are as smart as all of us.