What a nice site

Started by Tinpan, January 30, 2007, 09:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinpan

Boy am I in trouble now. I stumbled onto this website by searching for cabins plans.  

I probably have need for 2 cabins. I plan on making them both a primary residence for me and my son. The primary residnce will be whichever one we happen to be in. HA

I'm looking for land in Buckingham County VA. We go prospecting for gold there all the time and it would be nice to have a prospectors cabin.

One question I have is I bought the 3D Home Architect 3.0 Deluxe and plan on signing up for the Country Plans website so I can download some templates and tweak them. Since i am going to build 2 cabins and will need 2 sets of plans, do I also order the paper plans when I have settled on a config? Do I order them from Country Plans or jshow.com? i realize i need plans for each cabin i build.

Again, what an awesome web site

Thanks

Robin

glenn kangiser

Hi Robin - welcome to the forum.  I'm moving you to plans support since you are planning on buying plans - John can help you there and may get it quicker there.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

youngins

Hmmm,

Is each set of plans purchased only licensed for one structure?
"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."

glenn kangiser

I believe that is the way John does it, but many other sites charge 5 to 10  times as much for a set of plans so it is still very reasonable I think.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Yes, I ask folks to buy one set of plans for each project. You are free to modify each so they need not be duplicates of the same building. If you are doing several versions of the same house let me know and I can give you a price break on additional sets of the same plans.

John Raabe
john@countryplans.com

PS - Jshow.com is the site that handles the secure order form for plan sales. The template files for 3D Home Architect are on my sister site planhelp.com. I will be moving over the order form to the planhelp site over the coming months.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Tinpan

Hi Glenn,

No problem, first post and I'm already in trouble. HA HA.

I have been looking at Simplefarmouse.com for years. I wanted to build the Joiner but i couldn't get over the 8K price tag for the plans, especially since i wanted to change them. 8 K for plans for a 100K house was a bit steep.

John prices for plans are a bargain compared to that and the whole concept and community built here is brilliant. In reading the license you buy one set of plans for each building, which is very reasonable.

From what i have seen so far I am thinking along the lines of Victoria's cottage or the 1 and 1/2 story with a porch.  I think along the lines of Okie guy but making it a porch instead or a sunroom. I was showing some of the pictures to my son Luke ( 10 years old)  if i use a 20 x 30 plan he can end up with the whole upstairs as a bedroom and play room. He started getting pretty excited.

This is going to be fun

Thanks

Robin

Tinpan

Hi John,

Both sites point to you. Ok I got it now.

Thanks

Robin

glenn kangiser

It's pretty hard to get in trouble here or I would be in trouble all the time. :-/

8K is nearly as much as some of our members have spent to get their house near to being dried in - at least for most of the lumber.

The guys that get 8K for a set of plans only have to sell one set then they can take off for a month or two.  We don't want John to enjoy himself that much. :o

I think John gives exceptional value for the money --- and he lets the rest of us hang out here too.  As long as we help out a bit here he lets us talk about almost anything we want to. :)

MountainDon

Welcome Tinpan. You are right, this is an awesome forum. Just ask and someone will answer. Look forward to seeing how things progress.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.