Re: H10 brackets

Started by peg_688, July 28, 2006, 09:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peg_688

You sure it sez H10?  What plan , not that I have any of John's plans   :-[,  Not likely needed or spec'ed on a small house plan .

Could it be a H-1? Or H 2.5 ?  

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/h.html#gallery

H1

H2.5

H10

That site link will show you photo's of the hardware , note the picture's on that site show the hardware outside for clarity only they can and generally are installed inside from the floor , not outside from a staging or ladder.

G/L PEG

Amanda_931

Or are you talking about those nailing plates for making your own trusses?

peg_688

QuoteThe plans for the 1-1/2 20x30 show the H10 bracket like peg pictured for attaching the trusses to the top plates.  Except in the drawing they are bent just below where the truss goes thru.

You'll have to wait for the Architect to answer that one , He'll MTL blame the draftmen / printer/ G/C  ::) It's never the Architect , ah , fault ::) ;D

Lil Joke,  eh John  ;) :-[

Seems H10  can be bent :

H9, H10 and H10R optional positive angle nailing connects shear blocking to rafter. Use 8d common nails. Slot allows maximum fieldbending up to a pitch of 6/12, use 75% of the table uplift load; bend one time only.

If it looks like what John drew , bend er ta fit .

G/L PEG

jraabe

Yes, that is the same diagram PEG shows. Just done in a steeper pitch roof so there is more of a bend. The bracket protects against uplift and sideward shear forces.

And, yes, it is a bit heavy duty. Designed as much to make the inspector happy when he sees trusses that didn't come from the truss company.  :)

wibekkah

John,

Although I can't find it anywhere on their site now, my Simpson Strong tie booklet says that the maximum pitch for the H10 connector is 6:12.  The alternate wall/eave detail you put out, calls for H14 brackets instead.  Do those get bent too?  I really don't understand why the brackets get bent at all.  What is the downside of having them be vertical?  Also, am I right in thinking you cannot use either of these connectors for the end trusses?

Sasha

peg_688

QuoteJohn,

#1: Although I can't find it anywhere on their site now, my Simpson Strong tie booklet says that the maximum pitch for the H10 connector is 6:12.

#2: The alternate wall/eave detail you put out, calls for H14 brackets instead.  Do those get bent too?  I really don't understand why the brackets get bent at all.  

#3:What is the downside of having them be vertical?

#4: Also, am I right in thinking you cannot use either of these connectors for the end trusses?

Sasha

#1: It's says that same thing at the bottom on the web site .

#2: The site shows the H14 inside , not bent . I think the H10 they show is bendable to let the anti-rotation block to be put in 90 deg. to the pitch of the rafter, MTL because the ceiling inside the house is vaulted as well so the top "ears" of the bracket won't be long enought to provide adquate nailing .

#3: None that I can see , unless that bird block / anti rotation block has to be that way because the soffits are going to be open , not boxed in.

#4: Thats right a H1 the twisted one will need to be used.   You could also run your plywood / sheathing in such a way that it becomes a gusset tieing the lower walls plates / studs etc to the gable rafters , Most building dept. here need that" totally pointed " to them , the tie in by sheathing , as they are not used to seeing that done , I guess , or they really just want the no brainer of SIMPSON name / plate / connector in view .

G/L PEG    

jraabe

See, we really are smarter as a support team.  ::)

peg_688

QuoteSee, we really are smarter as a support team.  ::)

We have  a saying in NAVAIR (Naval Aviation) "If your not attack , you must be support." I guess I'm still in the attack side of the house ;)  

jraabe

PEG: If you're an attacker, we need more of them.