14 x 24 Foundation Question

Started by Larry G, December 14, 2015, 02:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry G

Hello everyone, I recently purchased the Enchilada plans and will be building the 14 x 24 in Central Mississippi and have a question regarding my foundation construction. It's not possible to get a concrete truck to the building site to pour a footing and stem walls so I was planning to use 8" Sonotubes on 24" Bigfoot Piers. The standard 14 x 24 plans call for the floor joists to rest on top of the beams but after studying this design for a while it seems that the structure would be more stable and have less "hinges" if the posts, piers and beams were moved outward to the perimeter of the structure and the floor joists were hung inside the beams instead of placed on top of the beams. I was thinking about 6' centers on the Sonotubes, beams made from 3x2x12s and 2x12 floor joists on 16" centers. Are there any downsides to doing a foundation this way?
Thanks in advance for your advice!

OlJarhead

After building to the design I've been working to augment the original foundation (post and pier) with Concrete footings (hand mixed and poured) and Surface Bonded Cement walls.  So far the first section went well and already made the place more stable.

If it were me (to answer your question) I'd place the joists on top of the beams but to the outside of the walls so you'd have to use joists that can span the distance.  I know 2x10's would do it but I'd probably go with 2x12's anyway (much much stronger).

Don_P

Quote from: Larry G on December 14, 2015, 02:11:55 PM
Hello everyone, I recently purchased the Enchilada plans and will be building the 14 x 24 in Central Mississippi and have a question regarding my foundation construction. It's not possible to get a concrete truck to the building site to pour a footing and stem walls so I was planning to use 8" Sonotubes on 24" Bigfoot Piers.
You know, I've never failed to get mud to the job, why can't homeowners seem to ever be able to, rhetorically

QuoteThe standard 14 x 24 plans call for the floor joists to rest on top of the beams but after studying this design for a while it seems that the structure would be more stable and have less "hinges" if the posts, piers and beams were moved outward to the perimeter of the structure and the floor joists were hung inside the beams instead of placed on top of the beams.
Absolutely, the perimeter girders just picked up all kinds of lateral support. The downside is the load transfer is through nails in shear rather than wood resting on wood... nuthin's free. Oh and the payment to Simpson for the hangers.

QuoteAre there any downsides to doing a foundation this way?
Sure, you've carefully collected all the loads from above through braced and sheathed roof, walls and floors, and then perched it on unbraced piers... there goes your lateral support, a chain breaks at the weak link. Build some type of wall between piers. It has to be rigid enough not to buckle out of plane when leaned upon by the piers. Now you have a complete lateral load path. At that point make the walls between piers vertically load bearing and you don't need a perimeter built up beam. Electrician will be happier for one.

Permanent wood foundation on a gravel filled trench?

rick91351

Quote from: Don_P on December 14, 2015, 11:53:09 PM
You know, I've never failed to get mud to the job, why can't homeowners seem to ever be able to, rhetorically

As a ex-concrete ready mix driver......  I so agree with Don_P.  but I also agree with you........  Unless you call the Ready Mix Plant and they send out a field man or owner or who ever to make the call you never will really know. We did get in to and out of some weird tight spots....  I quit in 1976 and pumping was just starting.  Unless you are up to the arm pits in swamp --- bayou -- poling your pirogue to the job site.....  Really the best thing to do is give them a call.  Most of the salesman - field men - got a lot of tricks. I think you would be a lot happier with the final results. 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

kenhill

Quote from: Don_P on December 14, 2015, 11:53:09 PM
Sure, you've carefully collected all the loads from above through braced and sheathed roof, walls and floors, and then perched it on unbraced piers... there goes your lateral support, a chain breaks at the weak link. Build some type of wall between piers. It has to be rigid enough not to buckle out of plane when leaned upon by the piers. Now you have a complete lateral load path. At that point make the walls between piers vertically load bearing and you don't need a perimeter built up beam. Electrician will be happier for one.

I built my shed on concrete pyramids.  Soil settlement and earrtquakes and volia, pyramids sunk and some slid off.   I'm jacking it up 8 inches now that the ground is frozen and setting on long posts laid horizonally.  Don't skimp on foundations.

flyingvan

If a concrete truck can't get there, neither can a fire truck
Find what you love and let it kill you.