slab on grade

Started by K.C., March 15, 2006, 12:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K.C.

Hi John, The plans arrived and they look great.
Is there a slab on grade plan or drawings available that I can use for the 14x24 cottage?
Thanks,
Ken

glenn-k

Seems I've seen some stuff in some of the plans Ken.  You put us up to 900 members. :)

Are you in a permit area or excessivly cold?  An on grade slab is usually pretty straight forward.

John should be around fairly soon.

K.C.

I'm in Washington, where there is not much chance of getting frost in the ground. However, I am in a permit area. I haven't gone through the permit process here before, so I'll have to find out for sure what sort of slab drawings they require. I'm assuming they will want a foundation plan that shows a cross section of the slab, grade beam, rebar etc. I hope to install radiant heat in the slab. This slab is hopefully going to be a DIY project. I paid last time, but you're right, it looks pretty straight forward. It's just a matter of whether or not my old joints will hold out

jraabe

The 14x24 Builder's Cottage could be built on a slab - either a turned down edge (monopour) or floating slab ( in which case the stemwall is similar to the crawlspace wall in the foundation plan you have). These details are not in the Builder Cottage or Little House plans.

Depending on what part of the state you are in your foundation would go 12" to 24" deep. You would also want R-10 insulation at the edge of the slab.

There are details for these slab foundation options in the larger plans and you could cut and paste the needed details and adjust the foundation plan to fit your size layout (the 20' wide single story would be the least expensive one to get this from).

You could also go to the building department and they may be able to help you make the needed changes and (if you are lucky) give you an approved detail to use.