Little House BC vs Big Enchilada BC

Started by teripittman, January 26, 2006, 11:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teripittman

I'm trying to get a feel for the differences in the two versions of the Builder's Cottage. As I'm understanding it, the Big Enchilada version uses 2x6 framing and has a slab concrete foundation vs a pier/post. Am I missing anything else?

I'm going to be on a ridiculously tight budget and may have to build smaller to be able to build at all. (Not a problem as we spent 8 years in a 21' Airstream!) It's in the Cascades, in snow country. What we really want is a standard Forest Service cabin, with a deep front porch. I'm pretty sure that I'll go with one of these two sets of plans. Just don't know which would be a better fit for what we want.

jraabe

The Builder's Cottage plan in the Enchilada kit is on a concrete perimeter (crawlspace) foundation. It has 2x6 walls (for R-21) and better insulation in the roof as well. It also has additional optional details such as the higher sidewall for a wider and taller loft.

The Little House version of the 14x24 is on post and pier foundation with 2x4 walls. It will be the least expensive building to build and is similar to what would have been built in the 1940's (with a better, more permanent P&P foundation however).

Epiphany

I bought the Builder's Cottage plans before the Big Enchilada plans came out - is it the better insulated one?

jraabe

Yes, The Builder's Cottage is easier to insulate to current codes (roof, walls and floors) and is simpler to get a permit for (hence the name).

PS - If you have the Little House plans and want to upgrade I can send you just the Builder's Cottage plans and the Enchilada booklet for a reduced price. It is not on the order form, so send an email to orders@countryplans.com and I will fill you in.

teripittman

The house we are currently in was owner built back in 1941 (the builder's daughter stopped by when we first moved in.) It's on pier & post.She and her mom checked out a book from the library on how to build and that's why it is the squarest house that the building inspector had ever seen. And it's a lot bigger than what we plan to build--660 sq ft on the bottom with a finished loft area under the roof. I figure if they can do it, we can too.

I may try and do the 2x6 structure and go for heavier insulation. I do know that a wood heater in a small space can fix a lot of insulation problems. :) I've got a month before we move and get the cash out of the current house, so I'll keep lurking on the forum and try to decide which plan to try. Thanks!

Epiphany

I bought the actual Builder's Cottage plans so I think I'm in good shape.

jraabe

In a colder climate 2x6 construction makes economic sense when you are building new. The main reason is that you can get up to R-21 with inexpensive batt insulation. A 2x4 wall can also be upgraded to almost the same R-value with an inch of polyisocyanurate foam insulation - but that will cost more than the batt insulation.

teripittman

Talked with our friend's son, who will be helping with our project. I gave him the materials list from the Little House plans. I'm looking at the mid-size version, as I think we can afford that one.

He thought that adding a concrete foundation under that plan would probably add about $2000 to the cost. He did think that we would have an easier time getting the plans approved if we go that route. We are still trying to decide if we are really building a cabin or if we just call it a shed  ;)

If I go with the Big Enchilada plans, do I also get plans for the mid sized Little House? Just double-checking and thanks for the information!

jraabe

Yes, the Enchilada includes everything in the Little House plans - all three sizes, and would have the details for the concrete foundation.

glenn-k

Another thing I like about the Enchilada, Teri is that you can start small with what you can afford to do then still have the rest of the plans for additions as you can afford them later.