Building in Georgia

Started by Rensmif, November 09, 2011, 08:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rensmif

We have some lakefront property in Southwest GA, my question is probably a common one so bear with me please.
I am thinking of the single story 20x30 single story and am wanting to be sure that everything needed to secure building permits are included with the plans ie. i dont have to take them for any added engineering work.

And am I allowed to physically do as much work as I can or do I have to have a "licensed contractor" in charge.

thanks in advance for any help.

MountainDon

w*  John will probably check in on this later. He the man who made the plans.

As far as the amount of work you can do yourself, that is something that can vary state to state or municipality to municipality. Most will allow homeowners to do the project themselves. There will still be the cost of whatever permits are required. Electrical and plumbing would be separate permits and in many, maybe all, places you would need to pass a test to get the permit. Some things like septic may require professional installation. The rules can be as different from place to place as the states can differ. Check locally.

As for the plans it depends on the local permitting department. Some may require professionally designed roof trusses from a (local) supplier. Those usually will come with the stamped papers. What foundation design will be accepted can also vary from place to place. You probably have developed some idea of what projects here you would like to emulate. Again, the best answer to what the local restrictions or requirements may be will be obtained from the local permitting department.

There are many here who would be happy to answer any questions you have now or during your projects progress.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Rensmif

It sounds a little "iffy" to be honest, I am not understanding the benefit of buying plans here as opposed to buying locally, I am VERY interested in plans here but I dont want to end up with something I cant use for sure.  hmm ?????

John Raabe

Rensmif:

By all means if you have someone locally who can make custom plans for you use them. You will be able to work up much more customized details and a layout that works for you personally as well as any site features that are unique.

The 20x30 single story is a simple plan that meets the general code requirements of national codes. No stock plan (or a local architect plan for that matter) will be able to guarantee that there won't be local code, covenant or zoning issues that the plans need to be modified to meet. Most all plans have marks on them when they come back from the inspector.

People buy stock plans to save money. People buy plans from this site primarily because they get support and advice from other owner-builders.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Rensmif

Very well put and I do appreciate the fast response, I will keep lurking and learning here and will also have to make sure I am familiar with my local code people as well,  thanks again.

Rensmif

Update :
I ordered and have recieved the 20 x 30 1.5 story plans and am getting pretty familiar with them.  Thanks for the reasonable price and also for the forum.

I finally got the nerve to call the local building inspector/Code Enforcement Officer (no joke).

He seemed to be a pleasant guy and told me all I need to secure the building permit was a basic layout showing square footage, he also strongly reccommended licenced plumbers, and electricians for safety sake.
thanks again for the previous responses.