Water Heater, Air Handler, and electrical panel?

Started by fishstix, January 18, 2006, 05:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishstix

For the 1.5 story

I have found water heaters and Air Handler that are made to be placed in a crawlspace but my concern is that there are times when the temp gets low and things could start to freeze.  Would this be a problem?  THe water heater would be on all the time so that in itself could keep it from freezing and the Air Handler I can't see low temp being a big problem.  Any input on this matter.

For the Electrical Panel my best spot for it is in the Master Bedroom, but the dining room or Living room could work too, and I think I would sleep better not having it next to me while I sleep..  What have others done?  

Thank you.

Amanda_931

If you're actually living there, and have an unvented (now regarded as standard) crawlspace, depending on overall climate you might have very little freezing potential if you put water lines or tanks or a pressure pump down there.  

(I've wanted an air-to-air heat exchanger ever since I first read about them--but probably not with the air feeding from a crawl-space--especially not the one I had in Nashville!  Or is air handler just ductwork? might not even need that if the house is tiny, small footprint, mostly open plan.)

If you have water pressure, hanging one of those--very low cost to run--gas (natural or LP--or even kerosine) on-demand water heaters on an outside wall close to one of the big hot water using faucets would be good.  

There's been a little bit of concern--of the kind that always used to be called crackpot, now maybe sounding a bit less so--about putting electrical stuff near the bed.  I think I'll avoid it.

jraabe

I agree with Amanda, your (even well insulated) hot water tank will likely keep the sealed CS above freezing. You won't want to put a propane fired tank down there however. These are best in a vented mechanical room with a place for the heavy gas to go in case of a leak. On demand heaters on an outside wall are fine with propane.

Consider the panel in LR or Dining area behind a picture.