OKLAHOMA 20X30 SINGLE STORY

Started by astidham, May 07, 2010, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I have never used a coil nailer. As long as it will shoot the nail size and type you want to use I don't see any reason it would not work I doubt it would be better or worse.

I have noticed that my experience seems to be better using the manufacturer's own nails compared to generic. By better I mean misfeeds or jams. They never happen with either of my Senco's when run on Senco nails and the Bostitch framing nailer is just about as bulletproof on Bostitch nails. . .  I don't know if that is typical or not.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

astidham

Yet another plan change on the siding.
I ordered metal today, same as my roof for the bottom 2' bumpout.
Its hard to beat the price per square foot on metal, and the speedy coverage that it offers.
it will act as a waterproof barrier on the bottom, and break the contrast with my log siding.
its is supposed to be here friday!
Can't wait!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Mrdecatur217

i bet it will look fantastic with the log and metal and you are right,.water barrier,. can not wait till i can move in and sponge off you and ada lol dad

astidham

I started my siding on the bump-out today, managed to put up about 50 linear feet with the motivation of my girls

— Henry Ford

astidham

not really a flat spot on the property

— Henry Ford

Sassy

Looks great!  I like how you've done that  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

astidham

Thanks Sassy,
the metal on the lower was an idea i got from Jan Nikolajsen's small house in moab.
— Henry Ford

Mrdecatur217

that will work perfectly to keep water rot from that part are you going under your floor wood with siding? dad

duncanshannon

nice work!  thanks for posting all the pics.  [cool]
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

astidham

— Henry Ford

John Raabe

Nice job! I too like the bottom band. You could also work the window trim so it comes right down to the water table over the metal. Then there is another opportunity on the trim out to run a band around the house over the window tops. This could break the siding pattern, provide for color contrast and allow something else on the gable ends. Perhaps horizontal bevel siding on the mid section and sidewall shingles on the gables.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

astidham

Quote from: John Raabe on February 05, 2011, 01:09:00 PM
Nice job! I too like the bottom band. You could also work the window trim so it comes right down to the water table over the metal. Then there is another opportunity on the trim out to run a band around the house over the window tops. This could break the siding pattern, provide for color contrast and allow something else on the gable ends. Perhaps horizontal bevel siding on the mid section and sidewall shingles on the gables.
Thanks John,
I like the sidewall shingle Idea for the gables!
— Henry Ford

astidham

got a short update,
finally put up a temporary gate. 16' tube gate and the electric co-op bid my power install up to my cabin.
it is a quarter of a mile to the nearest power available, plus we need the electric brought in ~120 feet on our property to reach.
we need ~8 poles installed. when they called me i prepared for the worst, but they said they will put it in FREE! WOW!
here are some pics of the gate and if you can see the pink flags, that is where some poles will be.

— Henry Ford

Texas Tornado

Can they put the lines underground?

astidham

they can, but it is very expensive
— Henry Ford

Mrdecatur217

when did you learn that skill of building fence? [cool] it looks great.,.,.dad

astidham

started assembling my window trim frames today, the trim is a 2x6 ripped in half, the lower trim is beveled so it don't hold water.

— Henry Ford

Redoverfarm

astidham I built 8 windows from replacment windows for an addition on my house.   I used 3/4 stock and wrapped the exterior with metal and trimmed the inside of the exterior with vinyle quarter round. The interior was finished wood which was part of the 3/4 framing

You might consider breaking a piece of metal for a drip edge on the top of the windows to prevent water from entering and laying between the vinyle window and wood frame.   If you have any "grace" or ice guard left I woud be tempted to seal the top, sides and bottom (same as originally in proper order) where the wood meets the vinyle window.

astidham

Quote from: Redoverfarm on March 16, 2011, 07:41:39 PM
astidham I built 8 windows from replacment windows for an addition on my house.   I used 3/4 stock and wrapped the exterior with metal and trimmed the inside of the exterior with vinyle quarter round. The interior was finished wood which was part of the 3/4 framing

You might consider breaking a piece of metal for a drip edge on the top of the windows to prevent water from entering and laying between the vinyle window and wood frame.   If you have any "grace" or ice guard left I woud be tempted to seal the top, sides and bottom (same as originally in proper order) where the wood meets the vinyle window.
Thanks Redoverfarm, my wife will paint them before the final installation, and I do need to flash and seal them. they are ~3" from the sheathed wall out
— Henry Ford

rdzone

One caution I would not seal the bottom of the wood window trim with graces.  The top and sides would be fine, but if water got between the window and the wood at the bottom the graces would keep the water in and not allow it to drain leading to rot. Just my opinion.
Chuck

MountainDon

Quote from: rdzone on March 17, 2011, 11:07:13 AMJust my opinion.

And a good one. We do our best to keep the water out in the first place. However, it is cheap insurance to provide a way out in case our best efforts fail.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

astidham

Thanks all for your help, I don't have a lot of experience in that area
— Henry Ford

astidham

The electric company set all the power poles to my place today.
tomorrow they will come back and string the power wire!!
they will be stretching wire about 1/4 mile..
electric is the easy part though, water, a different story.
drilling a well is not an option due to well history in the area.
the water department price for line installation is more expensive then building the entire cabin, so i will be installing a cistern.
— Henry Ford

duncanshannon

whats your cost going to be for the electricity?  In NW WI, its $4-6 depending on the state of your lot.  I'm about 1/4 mile from the nearest power source. Thinking solar might be really cool.

ooh, i want to learn more about cistern systems... what are your plans for that?   I like the idea of that too!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

astidham

Quote from: duncanshannon on April 04, 2011, 05:26:45 PM
whats your cost going to be for the electricity?  In NW WI, its $4-6 depending on the state of your lot.  I'm about 1/4 mile from the nearest power source. Thinking solar might be really cool.

ooh, i want to learn more about cistern systems... what are your plans for that?   I like the idea of that too!
the electric company charges 1200.00 a pole, each pole will stretch 300' of wire.
they charged us nothing because we removed all the trees for that 1/4 mile.
normally they will give you a couple of poles for free though.
on the cistern, we haven't ironed out all the details.   
I think we will use a 3000 gallon holding tank (above ground) and a well pump. a pressure vessel, and a 500 gallon tank to transport water to the cabin.
we had guttering put on our 30x50 shop for water catchment that will be used for the garden and animals. I would love to hear more ideas about cisterns if anyone has any....
— Henry Ford