Dogtrot at Hightop

Started by Redoverfarm, November 25, 2007, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Big generator John.  :D What fuel... you might have stated that before but I don't recall.  :(

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

phalynx

Redover,  you don't like plumbing, don't like sheetrock, do you like the generator?  I'll help you get rid of it....   ;D  lookin good.

Redoverfarm

Don it is a propane.  A little bigger than I had originally planned but for the price (probably 1/2 of retail) I couldn't pass it up.  It will not be the primary.  If I can swing it a battery bank, controller and inverter will do most of the time.  The only down side which is just a small obsticle is that they were designed to trinkle charge the battery off of the grid power which I will not have now.  I will have to change to trinkle off the generator or a small set of solar to charge the battery.  I still have a long way to go but I am getting closer. ???

Redoverfarm

Quote from: phalynx on December 04, 2008, 06:46:17 PM
Redover,  you don't like plumbing, don't like sheetrock, do you like the generator?  I'll help you get rid of it....   ;D  lookin good.

I might rephrase that.  I don't actually hate them it is just one of those areas that I am not that knowledgeable of or haven't perfected them YET. 

I might also mention that adjacent to the drop for the loft toilet in the main bathroom ceiling there will be a exhaust fan/light centered.  I just have enough room for the exhaust (4") to pass between the beam and the waste pipe. 

Dealing with an open ceiling and beams takes on a new meaning when it comes to running utilities.  Ceiling lights wiring chases have to be routed as well and way before you are ready to put anything in that glows.  ;D

Redoverfarm

Dispite the cold temperatures I did manage to get a little work done.  I completed paneling the wall in the loft which will be at the top of the steps.  The transition went pretty good from the round locust post to the wall.  Also I put the ceiling T&G in the bathroom.  In addition I rough framed the shelf and storage area in the bathroom.  There are three same size openings under the shelf which will eventiually become cabinetry of doors and drawers. If access is ever needed to the plumbing then removal sould be pretty simple. 

Loft bathroom wall at stair top

Loft Bathroom

Just to let you know that not everything is as it appears.  Consideration I think made a comment on how neat everything was in the photographs without any mess in the background.  Well this is the way I left it today.  Was in a little bit of a hurry as the daughters school Christmas program is this evening.  It will be there when I get back

Redoverfarm

I apologize Consideration it was CWhite that said that.  Anyway it is orderly most of the time but it is very easy just to walk off and leave to later.  But then later comes and you have to clean it up so I just try to keep on top of it as I go and makes finding things a little easier.  But I still can't find what I am looking for half the time. ???

glenn kangiser

That is a great mess pix, John.  You don't want to see my shop or back seat of my truck.  At least I'm not the only one. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

Ok - I have to chime in about this neatness thing..quest, journey....since I've already been referred to...I just spent Monday and Tuesday morning cleaning the inside of the cabin, sawdust an inch thick and little chips everywhere, tools, you name it.  All because i wanted to visualize a staircase that just didn't want to fit into the corner.  I grudgingly admit it paid off.

It's nice to know that there are others that work and work and work and suddenly realize that no more progress is possible without a "tidy up reset".

I just tried not to take any pictures when the mess was at critical mass. I guess I can relax a little now.

MountainDon

I always try to make the last thing on a work day a clean up. I was taught to never leave a messy worksite, even if I was going right back to it the next morning. OTOH, my garage does get a bit out of hand at times. Hard to reconcile the two.  ???  Actually I need another garage, that might help.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

...still I don't see how people can survive without at least some piles of unnatural resources. [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

But sometimes it doesn't pay to be too tidy.  I had swept an area where I had cut, chiseled and drilled for the main bathroom.  Then I went on a search for my bit extender.   No where to be found.  Yeah you guessed it.  I looked into the wood stove where I had threw the chips and sawdust.  Low and behold the next day there it was.  Sort of took the temper out of it.  Just another item to pick up when I get to the big city.

CWhite

I like the mess picture too.  You are human afterall. 
I swept and cleaned my building site almost everyday after the crew left in the afternoon.  They must have felt like they had elves working with them.   I just considered it one of the jobs I wasn't paying them to do. 
I do admire how organized you stay.
Christina

Redoverfarm

The last couple of days have been spent installing the bathroom fan/light unit in the downstairs bathroom.  I had considered installing one in the loft but after thinking it over I decided not to.  For one reason there shouldn't be very much humid air given off by a toilet and sink. Secondly with the sloped ceiling it would be very difficult to install and would have to be vented directly to the roof.  I didn't have the clearence in the rafter as well.  The duct work as well as the plumbing pictured will all be above a dropped ceiling which will resemble what is already there  between each beam.  I will drop it to where there is 1/2" reveal of the beam.  Yes it may look odd but I am hoping it will blend in with the rest of the ceiling.  With the loft 1/2 bath I don't really have an option.

Outside wall cap of vent.

Started on the range hood roughin today.  I am a little worried about the heigth of the hood in relation to the floor and counter top.  I don't really have a reference to go by.  Again not a lot of option as I have to run the vent through the log wall chinking.  The finished measurement to the bottom of the hood from the floor is 60".

The manufactured recommended at least 55 Sq.In. of exhaust transition to a 8" round vent duct. .  I am planning on pushing the envelope a little with only 48 (3X16 rectangle)but may go to 64(4X16 rectangle).  The range hood is a little upscale from the ordinary Broan or Nu tone. I bought it at an auction.  It is a 11.2 amp motor with a 600CFM fan and 2-3" flood lamps.  I tested it out with a jumper wire to an extension cord.  I think on high it has more power than my Husky leaf blower.  Things blew everywhere. 

I really didn't want to build the unit into the chase but the way it is made and the lack of access to hook the vent pipe I will have to.  I looked at the unit and all the components can be serviced or removed from the bottom filter area so it looks like that is the way I will go.  I am waiting on a friend to make the transition, the vent duct and dampered wall cap before I can build it in.  I did manage to frame the sidewall.  I can plywood and lathe the sides and wait until it is installed to do the front portion.  The completed three sides of the frame will be covered in rock similar to the rest of the stone work in the cabin.

This is an "Independent" range hood. Looks like it should have wheels and steering wheel in this picture.

Rough in of frame.  Stone will cover all wood of the frame to the ceiling.  The vent will go in the chink joint pictured in the middle of the straight on picture.

I can't get used to this weather.  It feels more like early spring.  The road and ground have already been frozen once and now it is thawing out. The road is turning into a real mess up to the cabin.  Something I usually only see in March.

Still undecided about a back splash behind the gas range.  I hate to cover the log walls.  Any suggestions?

brian_nj

looking good, honestly looks better than many I have seen do it who make a living at it. I will give you two more suggestions 1. use a silicon caulk and seal the seams of the elbows and 2. insulate the pipe.
Our web site http://www.goldate.us/
Our Blog http://www.goldate.us/blog/

If more people took personal responsibility for themselves this country would not be in the mess it is.

Redoverfarm

Thanks brian.  I used regular aluminum foiled duct tape to every joint.  Plan on the same for the range hood.  I was wondering about the insulation for the range hood.  There will not be any part exposed to the outside except the wall cap.  Everything else will be on the interior space.  Is the insulations purpose to eliminate a temperature change and condensation?  With it being on the interior heated area would it really be required?

ScottA

Looking good John. I'm going to need to figure out my vents pretty soon too. How bout a piece of roofing metal for the backslash. Maybe you got a scrap left over?

MountainDon

Redoverfarm

Don I had toiled with the idea of tin backsplash but I am not sure what it would look like in that particular setting.  I had even thought of doing the wall in rock to match the range hood surround over the range.  But there again it isn't very durable in the aspect of grease from the range.  I think it would look OK but to clean I am not sure.  There willbe very little cabinetry on the wall.  2-36" base units and two 36" upper wall units with glass doors.  I decided since space was as issue I would move the sink to an island and have an additional 24" on one end for doors or drawers.  But with only a little over 200 sq ft there is just so much you can do.  I have a little more area that I could use a stand-a-lone pantry in a corner that would help.  Just something about doing a log house you hate to cover the walls up and loose the effect.

brian_nj

insulation is not required for the range hood as the length of run is usually too short to have much of a temperature difference now if you were running it up to the roof that would be a different story. The bathroom on the other hand has a longer run so a temp difference is common and also it is dealing with realy moist air so the insulation will help catch any drops that sneak through the tape to prevent ceiling problems over time and also keep it aloft so there is not a constant point that the moisture hits increasing the chance of mold.

If more people took personal responsibility for themselves this country would not be in the mess it is.

Redoverfarm

Brian thanks again.  I was going to insulate the bathroom vent.  The damper is at the unit and about 7 feet of duct that would be exposed to the cold air.  I also need it as a sound damper for the batroom plumbing from upstairs. 

Also sent you a PM.

brian_nj

you might want to look into the black foam pipe insulation it is a lot denser and absorbs the noise better than any fiberglass type. also if you put the seam up at the tup of a pipe run it will give you even more protection against sweating pipes leaking through the ceiling

Redoverfarm

No pictures today.  The camera froze up.  No seriously it was just the beginning of putting up the drywall in the gable ends of the loft's.  Had my son help me yesterday heave them up to the landing from the first floor.  I should have already made my stairs or at least a temporary set that I could have exchanged for the permanent one later on.  Oh Well.  It was 6 F when I left the house this morning.  The inside temp was 20F.  After 3-4 hours it rose to 38F in the downstairs.  The loft was a good bit warmer than that. Maybe 45F didn't have a guage up there. There apparently was a heat wave today sometime as it rose to 16F when I got home.  Tomarrow I will work on the smaller loft gable.  Then the remaining drywall and some pieces would do the short kneewall in the large loft.  Too cold to finish anyway but I can hang until my hearts content.

Bishopknight

John its coming out beautifully.  I love the exterior color. I want to do a similar ext color for my house.

Dog

John...your place looks amazing!  :) The stone work you've created, the fireplace....the rustic interior! Beautiful! Very inspiring... Can't wait to see more pics!
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

Redoverfarm

BK :I am not real sure what material you will be using but the color is Olympic "Driftwood Grey". It is a transparent oil based stain.    I often find it easy to get a general idea then off to Lowes or HD and pick up some stain samples.  Take them back and tack them up on the wall.  On the cabin I attached several to the logs and stood aways back and the one that blended in is the one I picked.  Real scientific  ;)

Dog: It is a work in progress.  This May will be 3 years.  With a one man crew that is the best I could do.  It seems that just in the last three years the work has slowed or should I say I have slowed.  I guess not really it is just time consuming portions that I have done lately.  If Gods willing and the creek don't rise I should have it pretty well done by late summer. 

Thanks for the intrest