Kitchen cabinets and finish trim in general

Started by Okie_Bob, November 16, 2006, 06:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benevolance

the table saw is pretty unforgiving...My grandpa lived the last 20 years of his life missing 2 fingers... Ripping a board... Still have the saw that took his fingers....Still creeps me out to use it...I remember being a boy holding his hand and his fingers were gone....

thought for the day is be careful.....We all do this but it is a bad thing....We should never use a bandsaw or a table saw without someone else around to save our lives or prevent something dangerous from happening.

glenn kangiser

In high school we made push sticks as a table saw safety project.  I still use them and so far still have all my fingers.  You're right - split second goof is all it takes - same with all the power tools.  Even the hand power ones are dangerous. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

Yeh, I see patients all the time with parts of fingers cut off or big gashes from a saw...  :-/  This past week I saw someone who had cut off the end of his finger & a painter who had used a 4 ft step ladder to get up on the counter, miss-stepped into the sink & fell off onto the ladder... we frequently have people come in who have fallen off the roof or a ladder...  :-/  That's why I've been a bit hesitant to use the power saws etc...  That's a very good safety warning - to always have someone around when using the tools...
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

PEG688

Thanks Sassy :) Glenn I think she'd like you to do the building / cutting .

On tool safety I seldom work with anyone in my shop , tools are just what they are , tools .  They cut what ever YOU put into the  blade / cutting area.   Building is as dangerious as  YOU MAKE IT!   Safety is a personnel responsibilty, think about what YOUR doing , not about "other things" I know thats what , or part of what I like about building , when I'm build thats what I'm thinking about , period .

When we get all spun up about tools / injury etc , the thing that comes to my mind is driving , MTL the most dangerous think almost all of us do daily.   The guy in the next car or truck will MTL do more harm to any of us than a tool , which YOU as the operator SHOULD have total control over.

Glenn better get on those cabinets , it could be rewarding , in more ways than the building ;)    
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Sassy

PEG, Glenn did get me some more cabinets a few weeks ago  :) - I just always need more  :-/ - there's just not much storage area in the house yet & I have a lot of stuff  :-/ & so does he!  We're planning on getting the master bath finished & I'll have some more shelves to put linens etc.  One of my sons (possibly both) will be coming over next week to help with some more plastering & cement work.  I think we are going to try & get the main part of the house closed in better so it doesn't get so cold & the raccoons don't play in it  :-? .  We are having our yearly family get-together here before Christmas as I have to work all through Christmas & New Years with only a couple days off.  

Glenn always likes to have something major done to show everyone - we have the "Near Free RV garage" to show, which everyone likes who has seen it so far - my dad keeps asking if we got the main part done yet... we're making progress, just so much to do & so little time! It keeps us outta trouble!   ;)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

a_608

Having just joined, I have some thoughts.

I too would like a nice table. In time I will have one. Also, I found a book at Amazon by Paul Levine, Making Kitchen Cabinets. The cabinets are European. I like the modular idea for cabinets. I am planning a house built on the 20x30 plan and will owner build as much as I can. I plan to use the book and make some cabinets for a shed. They don't have to be perfect. Has anyone seen or read this book. I found it easy to read and feel confident that I can build some decent cabinets.

a_608

I meant table saw. I plan to buy more tools in the future. Threads on what to buy have given me an idea where to start.

glenn kangiser

I haven't read that book.  Most of my stuff is rustic so it makes it a lot easier to build - would work fine in a shop too.

Lots of good and inspiring reading here. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

I'm beginning to think that rustic is actually harder to build.  If only because some of the rusticity when I do it involves mistakes that have to be compensated for.

:-/

Okie_Bob

Been away for a few days and look what you guys get into!
Especially liked Amanda's new word....rusticity....I like it.
Sassy's lusting and Jonsey came up with blackbutt somehow, and I don't want to go there!
Glen, you need to take control, I'm getting scared and I'm fearless.

Peg, did you make the drawers in your pics? I really like the contoured front on them
Well, I'm out of there before I get in trouble with all you preverts!!!!!
Okie Bob

PEG688

Peg, did you make the drawers in your pics? I really like the contoured front on them

Okie Bob

Yes , 1/2 " euro ply comes in 4'x 8' sheets , $92.00 per sheet :o but it makes a darn nice lookin and strong draw box.

The bottoms of the upper draws are also 1/2" ply , can good storage , you need a strong bottom to hold the weight.

Yes I'm sure there's some way to change bottom to butt , what ya got Glenn ???

Draw slides are KV full extention 100 lbs rated. I like KV over Acuride as they have more ball bearings and ''a one piece" ball bearing carrage that they ride in.  

Yes it makes for a spendy materials list but as the home owner told me " The cost will soon be forgotten but the quality will remain for a life time."

Hows your search coming for a good cabinet making book?

PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

PEG and Okie BoB and Jonesy.  I guess I do have to start wielding my authority here a bit. ::)

Well BoB, I already took care of Jonesy's blackbutt at his request - he thought it was a little too heavy so I lightened it up a bit. :-/

Now all that's left is for me to take care of Sassy's lusting and you checking out PEG's drawers.