1 1/2 story decking plan for a 20x20

Started by schiada, October 01, 2011, 11:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schiada

Looking for more input. And thanks for the info!
Was thinking a 3/4" TG OSB ? ???

PEG688

3/4 " T&G Edge Gold , which is OSB , with some added wax or glue  or some thing , to make it weather better.  There's a bunch of other products out there for sub-flooring depending on where you live. 

Glue it down with construction adhesive nail it with  8 d ring shank Galv gun nails , or 8d Galv. hand drives , about 8" to 10"  OC in the field  and 6" OC on the edges.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

RIjake

http://www.advantechperforms.com/product-lineup/advantech-flooring.aspx is amazing stuff, nearly waterproof and indestructible.

I still don't know why each sheet is not a full 4' though ???

Redoverfarm

Quote from: RIjake on October 02, 2011, 08:04:37 AM
http://www.advantechperforms.com/product-lineup/advantech-flooring.aspx is amazing stuff, nearly waterproof and indestructible.

I still don't know why each sheet is not a full 4' though ???

If you do decide on Advantech they ( company) recommend using Polyurethane glue rather than the standard construction adhesive. 

Ernest T. Bass

schiada, you may want to measure the subfloor when you get it. If it does not provide a full 4' of coverage (subtract the tongue), you will run a couple inches short and need to rip a filler piece. It's not the best practice though, as it doesn't tie the rim joists together. In that situation, you could rip a foot or two off of your starting row so that you end with a wider piece.

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

schiada

OK, but is it T&G all the way around? I just rember it being on the long sides.
Good point on the not full sheat,I had not looked at that. I will look at going the other way around? ???

PEG688

Quote from: schiada on October 02, 2011, 09:58:11 AM
OK, but is it T&G all the way around? I just rember it being on the long sides.
Good point on the not full sheat,I had not looked at that. I will look at going the other way around? ???

Long sides only on the T&G.

You want the 8 foot length 90 degrees to the length of your joist , so you'll be laying across 6 joist with a full sheet.

As Ernie said figure out where you'll end up , if it's a really small piece you could start with a cut sheet so your last piece is wider.   

Don't worry about having waste when your done , you'll use any left over sheathing for backing, cleats, any other things around the place.     

schiada

PEG688

Your joist would be running up and down on that page? Or can you show us the joist?

What program are you using for your drawings?  Sketch-up?   

schiada

TurboCAD.
Joist  are running top to bottom or up and down on drawing..

PEG688

Quote from: schiada on October 02, 2011, 11:01:17 AM
TurboCAD.
Joist  are running top to bottom or up and down on drawing..

Is that a free program , or did you have to buy it?

How long have you been using it? You seem to get updates done pretty quickly?

I'd say  start with a 1/2 sheet , then you know you'll end with about a 1/2 sheet , your fall off will be possibly more use-able. Of course that's a guess as how knows what you'll use the fall off for, but generally 1/2 sheets can be cut up for something. 

schiada

She is a old program,been using it for 6 + years. It was $$ back in the day. :P
This framing thing is new to me,but I think I can get it. d*

Rob_O

Quote from: schiada on October 02, 2011, 10:21:30 AM
 Something like this?

That would work. You could also just "design out" the 1/2" per sheet you will come up short and build a 20' * 19' 9"
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

Don_P

Do draw in your joists to determine where the plywood breaks will be. It is best to stack framing up through the building... studs over joists, rafters over studs. This is not a code requirement, but makes it stronger and easier on the trades later. check your roof framing with overhangs for plywood layout, this consumes more sheathing than the floor. I rarely have left over scrap of any size, stair subtreads, gussets, chases, closet lining and stiffening wall sections can use up just about any scrap.

schiada