Wood stove vs. LP or electric heat

Started by mpls_ham, December 09, 2010, 05:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpls_ham

I know this subject has been discussed before but I could not find a specific thread.  My 14x24 is framed, wrapped and tucked in for the winter so I have plenty of thinking time.  I purchased a Vogelzang Frontier wood stove a couple of months ago because it was on sale and the reviews were positive. Since then I have studied the installation specs and found that the allowable clearances would put the stove deeper into our meager living space then I had anticipated.  I also am aware that shielding combustibles from the stove would allow me to subtract a portion of the clearance but not enough to tuck it into the corner I had reserved for it. 
I started looking into electric or LP heating options and there are plenty of choices although they their not as cozy as a crackling fire.  Part of me thinks that pulling into the cabin and flipping a switch to get heat is the easy way out versus learning the quirks of a wood stove and adding wood at 4:00 am.  Any opinions?
Northern Black Hills - South Dakota

MountainDon

That's a big stove for a cabin that size. (IMO) Our VC Aspen is smaller and it will easily over heat if I don't watch the load I put in it, once the cabin is warm. It does has shorter clearances though.

We have a propane wall heater as well. Together they make warming the cabin up from a cold winter start much quicker. It's the Housewarmer from Northern Tool; the larger unit (18,000 BTU?) with fan. If I had to choose only one, I'm not sure what I would do. ??? We use the propane a lot when we need just a little warm up, so maybe I'd choose propane? ??? In winter we use the Aspen mostly. But then we have so much wood available ???

I didn't consider electric because of the power grid connection costing so much ($55K).  Our electricity would have been pricey as far as I'm concerned, but I know there are places that are even more.

Nice things about the propane or electric are no ashes, no kindling, no cutting wood...  It would even be possible to get a remote turn on (through telephone) for some gas and electric heating systems. all up and when you arrive it's already warm.

I'd worry about depending on electric as a sole source of heat in our mountains though. reports from friends in the area indicate several outages during each winter.

IF I was thinking electric though, I'd look at split mini systems from a name brand maker like Sanyo. Depending on the anticipated lows though. Check that out, they can be more efficient than straight resistance heating. Some can also supply A/C.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dug

To me cabins and wood stoves are synonymous so I think you gotta have one. If it's an option though I think a backup LP or electric would be a nice luxury for quick heat when you need it or are feeling lazy. As to which it depends on cost in your area. Also consider how often you might have to haul LP, which can be a hassle if your usage is high.

Don_P

A pellet stove is another option. There is noise involved but there can be a visible flame, it is a clean burn. It does require power and has clearances. IIRC Pope & Talbot's mill was making pellets locally.

Another option is a K1 direct vent heater, we've been using a monitor for backup for 6 or 7 years with no issues but I do understand that a Toyo is a better unit. It has tight clearances and is quite capable of running us out of 1500 sf. Our main heat is the smallest Jotul woodstove which is also plenty capable.

cmsilvay

We have built our 14x28 and while we would love to have a wood stove between the space it would take up and the cost of the stove and the pipe it has not happened yet. We have a Glowarm propane heater that we have been using for the past 3 years. We take it out in the warmer weather and rehang it in the winter. We run ours of 100lb bottles so the initial setup cost was low. It warms up the place real quick and maintains the temp pretty well. We have a 52" ceiling fan that keeps moving the air around. The only problem is the loft tends to stay a bit warmer but we just turn the heat down when the boys go to bed.

Squirl

I would say area of the country would be a factor.  If you were in the south or someplace with short mild winters, electric might be ok.  Other than that, I would not advise electric.  Rates are rising all over the country.  Also the environmental impact is very large.  Also, the baseboard heaters are not much easier to install or less expensive than a single direct vent propane heater.  In my opinion, electric heaters can take up a lot of space.  I have had them in a few places I lived.  Keeping enough clearance around all of the base boards for proper efficiency and safety took up more space than you would initially think.  Don't forget with a wood stove you still have to buy the chimney. 

Txcowrancher

we really like our old dearborn vent free. during the summer unhook and put in storage
works great

StinkerBell

John_M

There is nothing I love more than going out to my cabin on the weekend than sitting next to our woodstove!!  I would try and fit it in if you can!
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

mpls_ham

I think the inner caveman in me requires the wood stove.  Cutting and splitting wood is probably more of a therapy than a hassle.......as long as I don't have to do it at home.
Northern Black Hills - South Dakota