Wood Splitting Made Easy

Started by Woodswalker, January 28, 2009, 10:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodswalker

As the years have gone by, my right shoulder tells me I spiked way too many volleballs in my youth and split too may big rounds of firewood in the years since.  Decided to buy a hydraulic wood splitter.  Gas powered ones are powerful (10 tons of force, on up), but are large, heavy, expensive, and usually are set up with wheels to be towed.  Wanted one I could hoist into the truck to take to the cabin.  I searched online and locally for one of the newer  electric/hydraulic type.  Ended up buying a 5 ton model from Lowe's that is rated to split rounds up to 10" in diameter and 21" in length.  The unit has been working great.  Since I am splitting mostly doug-fir, and only about 16" in length, I've been able to do rounds up to 18" in diameter.  It has small wheels on one end, so can easily be moved around.  The weight is around 100 lbs., so I can hoist it into the truck.  It was made in China, but I've had good luck with a compressor made there, and it keeps the price down ($300).  Have split and stacked a half cord or so for next winter.  With all the threads regarding wood heat on the forum lately, thought others might be interested.
Here's a pic.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

I bought my parents a Sears smaller splitter a couple of years back.  With them you have to know pretty well what you want from the splitter.  It is fine on smaller diameter softer woods but it is no match for larger diameter hardwoods.  The one that I got them was a ram section and then a power plant section.  It was really portable in the fact that the ram system was smaller I think 24" bench and the power plant was a 3.5 HP gasoline motor.  It was hydrollic in that it fit together and used hydrollic lines from the motor/pump to the ram cylinder.  I would say that your system will work just fine with the softwoods but you will probably have difficulties with Oak, Hickory, Elm and the like. 

MountainDon

The west mostly has softwoods; pines, firs and spruce, plus aspen, so for most of what he's likely to be using there should be little problem.

The fall changing colors are not nearly as interesting out here for the most part.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Pretty much the opposite for us.  More hardwoods than soft.  It does make the fire last longer during the night.  But a lot heavier too.

MountainDon

Back home if I drove far enough east (65 miles) I could find nice Birch. Closer to home (45 miles) was mostly conifers. So I cut a mix of daytime andwarmer weather wood (conifers) and nighttime and colder weather woods.  ::)

new land owner

Has anyone used the ryobi brand of electric log splitters?  We have a store at the outlet mall that sells refurbed products and they have a great price on the ryobi log splitter.

glenn kangiser

I have had pretty decent luck with most of the Ryobi stuff but haven't tried the wood splitter.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

lonelytree

I plan to have one at the cabin when the wood stove is up and running.

DR makes one. I have sold quite a few and the customers are happy.

Mike

jb52761

My cell phone has a built-in log splitter. Works great... I dial a number, tell it I want either a face cord or full cord, then I wait for the truck to pull down the drive...I'm surprised it hasn't broke down before now, so the phone was a good purchase, and it doesn't take any gas or oil....... ;D