Wood Stove Rebuild

Started by Woodswalker, October 03, 2008, 09:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodswalker

Bought a used, small, Waterford wood stove from a guy in Seattle for my cabin.  It has a baked-on, black enamel finish.  The stove sold for about $600 new.  I got it for $100.  It is a nearly exact copy of the largest-selling wood stove in history, the Jotul 604.  After blowing compressed air inside and watching ash puff out of most the seams, I decided to rebuild it.  Carefully took the stove apart, without breaking any of the bolts, and then chipped off all the old furnace cement from the edges of each part using a rubber mallet and puddy knife.  Since cast iron is quite brittle, one has to be careful not to crack or chip the parts while removing old sealant.

These are all the parts, ready for reassembly.

The stove has three internal removeable plates, one on each side, and an upper baffel plate to create a longer flame path.  The guy I bought it from burned primarily presto logs, and said his method for keeping the chimney clean was to really fire it up hot to begin each burn.  This pic shows the results of this foolhearty approach.  Luckily, the side plates did not completely break, and the top baffel and stove bottom were not damaged.  Replacement side plates are available for $90 each, but the cracked ones are still useable, so will not get new ones unless they break.

I am adding firebrick to the bottom, although not an original feature.  Used new, stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts for the reassembly.

Another view.  Stove is now at the cabin, and will be hooked up next trip over.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Looks like that should work out fine.  Good job.  [cool]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.