wood stove help

Started by RIjake, October 22, 2011, 08:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIjake

I've got a dilemma with my wood stove.  I have a second hand VC Vigilant that I was going to use in my 20x30 camp.  The problem is I'm finding it very difficult to fit this stove into the space just to the right of the loft stairs whilst keeping the required clearances.

My thought was to sell it and buy an Aspen since it is a lot smaller but am concerned that it won't have enough BTUs to heat 1200 sf.

I know I can reduce clearances with shields but don't want to pay the exorbitant prices that the VC dealers are asking.

So my questions to you all are do you have any hints on what I can do to further reduce clearances without costing a kidney?  Also anyone with an Aspen (MtnDon), does this stove throw enough heat to warm a 20x30 with a full loft?  I'm burning Beech, Ash, Oak and Maple also I plan on installing floor registers to help get heat upstairs.  The house will be insulated to the highest level that it possibly can be too.

Any other models/brands that I could be looking at that will have closer clearances?

Thanks all!

Redoverfarm

Just have a metal shop to fabricate the shields.  A fraction of the cost.

MountainDon

What heat shields are you lacking, or wanting?

The Aspen comes with the bottom shield (at least ours did.)

I like the Aspen but am not sure if it would do as 2 floor 20x30; variables are the ext temp and the insulation level.  If the 20x30 was well insulated it might do the job as I can easily cook ourselves out of our 16x30 single floor, no loft cabin even when the temps drop to zero and below. At those times though it will not carry a fire through the night very well, but inside it would still usually never drop below 58. I don't recall what VC rate the Aspen at for sq footage and what their ext temp expectation is.

We had a first generation Vigilant back in the late 70's and 80's. No problem heating an 800 sq ft one floor, poorly insulated home. We did have new triple pane windows though. That was in Manitoba with -30 F winters common. Burned birch and it would carry through the night with the AM temps inside maybe dropping to 60 or so.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

RIjake

I would need the bottom and rear shields for the Vigilant.  Having them fabbed is a good idea but looking closer at the back and bottom of my stove I don't see any holes where they attach, not sure if mine is such an early model that it didn't have them. 

VC rates the Aspen for 600 sf at 18K BTU.

I have found an Aspen locally that comes with the stove pipe, shields, hearth etc for a great deal. 

We will use it during the winter and the Maine winters can be brutal but we plan to insulate the house very well.  I'm considering buying it and seeing how it is. 

Alan Gage

If you're looking at other stoves you might check out Englander's line. Basic no frills stove that just plain work. I used the NC-30 in the old trailer that I tore down this spring (will now use it in the shed) and bought the 17-VL for the house I'm building now. Happy with both of them and it's tough to argue with their price.

http://www.englanderstoves.com/wood_stoves.html

The 17-VL is a pretty small stove but does good with clearances. Mine is in a corner and, if I remember correctly, the distance from the corners to combustibles is 7". The NC-30 isn't as good with clearances but isn't bad. There are heat shields available too.

They also sell the same stoves under the "summers heat" and "timber ridge" labels.

Alan

Alan Gage

Quote from: RIjake on October 22, 2011, 06:17:45 PM
Having them fabbed is a good idea but looking closer at the back and bottom of my stove I don't see any holes where they attach, not sure if mine is such an early model that it didn't have them. 

Can you find a place to drill and tap holes? My stoves have some built in shields that would make an easy place to drill through.

Alan

ChuckinVa

I have a VC Aspen and I really like it but unless you are in a mild climate ( I see you are not) or are accustomed to wearing a sweater around the house I don't think you will be satisfied with it in your application. You are going to want a little more stove to heat your square footage.
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

RIjake

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I've got a decision to make I guess ???

Dave Sparks

The Osburn from Canada also.  Remember if you like to sit near the fire, too big a stove can make that impossible. It definately is a blend of your climate and the correct sizing! I would not worry too much about the coals lasting overnight. If you have a small propane torch and kindling you should be able to start a fire in 1 minute of torch time. The fire will be hot in 5 minutes and at rated btu in 20 minutes.
I really like the Osburn with the combustion air swept over the clean glass front.
"we go where the power lines don't"