Thinking of buying plans here

Started by paul s, April 17, 2020, 01:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul s

My focus is 14x24, so the little house plans, or the Big Enchilada.

Likely the little house plans.  If I buy the pdf file what is the best size paper to print on for the plans??

I emailed the email to set a phone conversation. To get further details, I expect the plans are very excellent.

The only changes I may make are likely in roofing, opting for a 3/12 'shed' roof.

Ty

Paul

paul s

John got back to me on this, thanks.

I am torn as to what to build

Right now down to 14 or 16 by 24

Will be mostly by myself for labor

Want metal roof to capture roof water to use in home

Will be year round living, off grid for me.

So at my age, 64, single floor,

Open to a loft for resale value, perhaps, not sure at all on this.

Roof to be determined,  if shed roof  would allow for south facing,  lots of light

If gable,  then 9 foot ceilings,

16 vs 14  wide depends on layout,  , comment and thoughts welcome!!
Paul

azgreg

Quote from: paul s on April 18, 2020, 09:50:34 AM
I am torn as to what to build

Right now down to 14 or 16 by 24

Start your design from the inside out. Start with the smallest bedroom and bathroom you'd live with. Add a small kitchen and living area and see what you've got. Play with it awhile until it fits an envelope size you're comfortable with.

paul s

That is a good description  of the process!!

Bathroom is 5' x 8', kitchen is galley  style 2 lengths 8' long each and 46" aisle between them,..this is all across one 14' wall, leaving one big studio room.  About 13 x 15 feet.

Ok for me,
Paul

Don_P

Closets, washer/dryer, hot water, hvac?

paul s

A lot, most all of my life things fit in rubbermaid  rough neck totes.
I have various shelving,  some of which incorporate totes.  A clothes line and wash rince by hand, a clothes line.

An outdoor shower, off grid as clever as I can be. A small wood stove, strategic  shade, etc.

Will work it out,

Don_P

Precisely, work it out on paper first. We just picked up shelving space and research the woodstove and its needed clearances.
Where is this going to be... frost depth, snow load... wind or seismic?

paul s

North central,  to ne Pennsylvania,  looking for land now, build in 1 year from now.

Yes all on paper, notes on why  I decided what, so when I think I have a better idea I will know what I  decided and why the first time.

Paul

Ty

paul s

I read this every day from a Dave Sparks post on this site

My top 3 for advice. 

#1 Build something that is marketable. People want a minimum 3bd  2ba or the ability to do that later. Expandable needs to be thought out on a smaller than normal design.

#2 Build something that is not overly expensive if you ever want to recoup. Stay in the median price range. Offgrid homes can be hard to get loans on and to sell.

#3 Build something that is legal and meets the norm for your location. If it is not inspected take pictures of each 

paul s

Well, I did it, bought the 'Whole  Enchilada"

Likely will learn more!!, 

Will be the base of what I do, the 14  x 24 that is,

Paul

paul s

I now have pdf files of the plans,  and have figured to build 14x24, just enough room for me and my things.

Was thinking shed roof but 12' on one side is not a one person thing for me at least

So thinking 9 foot ceilings and I we I'll build truss
On site like 5/12 pitch.
Paul olio

paul s

I decided on 14 feet  wide to allow for the kitchen and the bathroom to be side by side at one end,  of the building. the kitchen  is as long as the  bathroom and galley style. .

Don_P

Make sure to scale actual dimensions of everything out, including wall thicknesses. I just did a 16 wide with kitchen and bath in one end and it was fairly snug.

Found this page of my window layouts superimposed on the basic floorplan;

On the roof, a shed is simpler and easier for one man. I prefer the look of a gable but don't think it is easier. 9' or 12' is actually pretty much the same, once its over about 6' it just doesn't matter. You can build a temporary scaffold right off the wall framing pretty easily.  A box of timberlock screws and an impact driver make quick work of it.

MountainDon

When we were planning our cabin I first drew the plan on paper, then later we mocked up the floor plan on the driveway at home. I chalked the wall locations, laid 2x4 scraps here and there, used some cardboard boxes to represent things. After that the footprint grew 2 feet in width and a few feet in length.  We were just talking earlier today about being happy we increased the soze a little.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

paul s

Yes, I scaled it out very carefully,  , it is a galley kitchen.   I like all the plumbing at one end, just outside bath and kitchen  should be wood stove.

In a few weeks I will start  searching for land.

Paul

paul s

Don, those are good thoughts!  You have stimulated me.
Yes to the scaffold, I now recall I did that building a house once.

Ty